Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should i give up on moses basket? Other options - 2 week old wakes up within minutes if being put down - bf

(19 Posts)
Jellybabie3 Sat 21-Oct-17 13:43:10

Ftm with 2 week old DS. He will feed to sleep but after i have lifted him into moses he wakes and then wants to feed again. Some nights it's taken 5 hours to get him down even though he looks exhausted. I am getting no sleep as we bf and he wont be put down. I'm now Wondering if a nest insert or bedside crib is worth it.? Or persevere?? Alot of money but I am struggling so would fork out for the right product

Justmuddlingalong Sat 21-Oct-17 13:46:59

I used to warm the matress with a hot water bottle. Less of a cold shock than going from warm snuggly cuddles to a cold moses basket.

Jellybabie3 Sat 21-Oct-17 13:48:10

Tried that with a hair dryer

ferrier Sat 21-Oct-17 13:48:11

I'll be shot down by many on here but co-sleeping worked for me.

Jellybabie3 Sat 21-Oct-17 13:56:48

I was tempted by chicco next to me but kinda wanna know it would work for price!!

wheresmyphone Sat 21-Oct-17 14:04:50

Change of temperature is often a trigger. I did the hot water bottle thing. Left it in for a good 5 mins before I put baby back so it was really warm. Made a massive difference. And we co slept a lot too😳. Usual caveats re over heating blah blah.

Bobbiepin Sat 21-Oct-17 14:07:23

Have you swaddled/grosnugged? Sometimes its the startle reflex that wakes them up. Alternatively could he be feeding for comfort as oppposed to hunger? Try putting a muslin or comforter toy under your top for a day to pick up your scent and put that down with him. Alternatively a worn t shirt over the matress like a sheet so he has your smell around as a comfort.

angelsgirls Sat 21-Oct-17 14:09:00

Pop muslin cloth down your top, lay over mattress and tuck in well lay baby on top, worked with all 4 of mine

Jellybabie3 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:09:54

Yes tried swaddling but he likes sleeping with arms up. Tried muslin as a sheet too although might have had milk on which may be why it didnt work

teaandbiscuitsforme Sat 21-Oct-17 14:15:26

My DD wouldn’t have any of it with a Moses basket or a co-sleeper so she slept with me. Didn’t even attempt them with DS!

There’s lots of advice about safe co-sleeping or post of you want to ask questions if you think it might be a route you want to go down. I certainly didn’t ever think it would be something I’d do but I love it and it’s right for my family. smile

2014newme Sat 21-Oct-17 14:15:27

Try putting him down aWake. I didn't feed to sleep I put mine down awake.

gandalfspants Sat 21-Oct-17 14:46:36

We had the snuzpod bedside crib and I bf to sleep and slid her over.

We ended up getting the sleepyhead as well as she used to wake herself up waving her arms and that worked well, I read up and was happy with the breathability/risk but I’d say do your research and decide for yourself because they’re not recommended.

I will add that she still bfs to sleep at night at 13 months, so if you do eventually want to stop that think about when you want to start putting down awake, etc.

FATEdestiny Sat 21-Oct-17 18:20:51

I was tempted by chicco next to me but kinda wanna know it would work for price

You don't beed to spend money on an extra crib, most normal cots can be used as a cosleeper from birth.

If you cot
○ has adjustable mattress heights
○ is flat pack
Then it can be a cosleeper. Just remove one of the long sides, easily done with an Allen key and perfectly stable.

You then just need a way to fasten it to your bed, otherwise the two jiggle away from each other. I wedged the cot between bed and wall. You can also get mattress fasteners or literally tie the cot legs to the legs of your be.

Put cot mattress on highest settibg and Bob's Your Uncle, you have a cosleeper (often called a sidecar cot - Google for more info)

Passmethecrisps Sat 21-Oct-17 20:36:21

Sometimes they just need time. My dd is now 4 months old and now will sleep in her Moses basket and the next to me. We just had to keep at it with the basket to be honest. My wee one needs swaddled and fed to sleep but as long as she is swaddled now she can be reliably transferred into the basket. My first was easy to put down but second child has taken her fourth trimester terribly seriously so I just had to be patient

Passmethecrisps Sat 21-Oct-17 20:38:23

I have heard people using those little barley filled teddies you heat in the microwave. Heat it gently then push it in between you so that when you lower baby down they have the weight of it on their chest. Remove it when you are happy they are sound asleep

Lules Sat 21-Oct-17 20:40:13

I bought a chicco next to me in the middle of the night because I was desperate. It's great. At 4 weeks now he's also sleeping in the Moses basket a lot better than he was during the day.

glasshalfsomething Sat 21-Oct-17 20:46:21

I love the next to me and sleepyhead combination.

I feed DS to sleep, put her in the sleepyhead and then carry her in that to the Next To Me when I go to bed. She very rarely wakes during the night. Whereas in her Moses basket, which we binned off, she wouldn't really nap.

She sleeps in he sleepyhead during day also. I'm aware of the news reports and risks, but I feel I've made an informed decision and feel comfortable with her in it.

Littlecaf Sun 22-Oct-17 08:06:49

Two weeks is nothing. Give it time.

crazycatlady5 Sun 22-Oct-17 10:31:24

It is totally exhausting but at two weeks they still don’t know night and day and they usually want to cluster feed to increase your supply. Just feed as often as you can. I remember once my little one (now 9 months) fed for 8 hours straight! Exhausting, and also I think she is an extreme case so don’t worry grin you could also look into safe cosleeping but otherwise I recommend the sleepyhead and something that smells of you over it like a tshirt x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now