Talk

Advanced search

5 week old sleeps 3 hours at a time but wakes every hour between 4-7

(8 Posts)
Mandraki Sat 21-Oct-17 07:51:43

Our 5 week old girl will have a feed at 8,12 and 3, day and night, and sleeps well in between. However, every afternoon/morning she will wake hourly, sometimes hour and a half, from 4 until 7ish. I just want her to get the idea of the 6 o’clock feed rather than snacking for 3 hours until a proper feed around 8. Sometimes when she wakes I can just settle her, shush her to sleep but other times she is actively rooting for milk (bottle fed) and will take an ounce or so before sleeping again. Am I being over ambitious? Is this just a normal part of her sleep cycle sorting itself out or is there anything I can do to help her? I am just wondering because it is the same times morning and night and it’s every day pretty much.

Tilapia Sat 21-Oct-17 07:54:51

This sounds really normal for her age OP. Heavier sleep in the earlier part of the night and lighter sleep for the last few hours. Hang in there - it should improve over the next few weeks.

Mandraki Sat 21-Oct-17 08:07:36

Thanks for replying. As long as that’s normal I honestly don’t mind her waking! It’s hard to know what to do, she is our first, and there is so much conflicting advice in books and online.

SandysMam Sat 21-Oct-17 08:08:40

Very normal and pretty good for a 5 week old!

LapinR0se Sat 21-Oct-17 15:50:55

In the daytime what happens between 3pm and 8pm?

StinkPickle Sat 21-Oct-17 15:58:24

Yep normal (I’ve had 3) mine all did that exact thing.

Time will cure it.

Mandraki Sat 21-Oct-17 16:03:49

LapinR0se she usually does the same sort of thing in the day too, wakes for her 3pm feed but then will wake on and off between 4 and 7 sometimes hungry sometimes just having a nang.

FATEdestiny Sat 21-Oct-17 18:13:35

Babies do tend to be more awake and alert after about 4 weeks old, so it's not unusual that baby has woken up a bit more.

Maybe try to have 20 minutes or so floor play after each wake and feed through the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now