Talk

Advanced search

Should I have a routine by this point? 10 weeks old

(15 Posts)
RedPandaMama Sat 21-Oct-17 07:47:21

DD is 10 weeks today. I've noticed a lot of people seem to have a fixed routine with their baby from very young and now I'm wondering, am I doing this wrong? Should I be getting her into a certain pattern?

I'm EBF so just feeding on demand and it can really vary. Generally nights are the same. She sleeps in our bed, more for my ease (very bad back from epidural and breastfeeding sat up, picking her up etc). Goes to sleep around 9.30pm, then never really wakes up just nuzzles me and snuffles until I feed her at around 2.30am, 5.30am and 7am, then she sleeps until 9am usually. We get up and I get ready for the day and she goes on her playmat for a bit, usually a feed around 10am and then the rest of the day can be really varied. She goes anything from wanting to be fed every half an hour to going 4 hours without. Yesterday it was 2pm, 5pm, 7pm, 8pm, 9pm then sleep. She doesn't have any set naps during the day as we're always out and about doing things, usually has a couple of hours late afternoon and cat naps throughout the day.

Sorry this is super long, but I'm basically wondering should I be putting her down for sleeps at certain times, feeding her at set times even if she doesn't ask for it, etc?

JigglyTuff Sat 21-Oct-17 08:13:22

I think it’s pointless before 6 months really. If it’s working for both of you (and sounds like it is) I’d just keep in doing what you’re doing.

53rdWay Sat 21-Oct-17 08:19:54

No. Some people find routines useful, but they’re just a preference, not something you need to do for your or the baby’s sake. Most human babies through history grew up without a routine and did just fine.

If you’re EBF then moving to a fixed feeding schedule rather than demand feeding can really mess up breastfeeding, too.

AppleKatie Sat 21-Oct-17 08:23:02

Sounds like you are doing great OP stick with it. When/if your baby needs/wants a routine it will become obvious to you- either you will see a real need to institute one or more likely the baby will 'tell' you what the routine is and stick with it.

The best routines are led by the child imo and they change all the time as the needs of the baby change.

davidbyrneswhitesuit Sat 21-Oct-17 08:23:28

Sounds like between you you've already established a sleep routine, which is great... you're describing regular rough timings for night sleep and wakings.

If you're EBF, don't try to impose feed timings - growth spurts hit all the time, and you need to go with the flow in order to keep your milk supply adequate.

I'd keep an eye out for when she might be getting sleepy during the day, as some babies get v overtired otherwise, but if she's not miserable with cat naps, and you're OK with it, don't worry!

It does all settle down a little around 12 weeks anyway, so just keep an eye on things and you'll probably find she drops into some sort of daytime routine anyway.

Then in a blink your youngest is up to your shoulder, and naps and EBF feel like ancient history (sniff!).

Neolara Sat 21-Oct-17 08:26:27

No.

LML83 Sat 21-Oct-17 08:31:55

no, there is no right or wrong.

I don't think you can create a routine at this age. Some other babies may have fallen into a routine that parents have noticed I don't think it is anything they have done just luck.

Sounds like you are paying attention to baby and doing a great job.

crazycatlady5 Sat 21-Oct-17 09:04:01

Let your baby guide you I found that the best way x

LalaLeona Sun 22-Oct-17 08:29:49

No too young don't put pressure on yourself. Ds is 20 months and still don't feel like he sticks to a routine!

MiniMaxi Sun 22-Oct-17 08:35:06

Our baby started to naturally "want" a routine at about 6 months old. We tried once or twice before then but it was pointless. Go with the flow and don't beat yourself up!

Changerofname987654321 Sun 22-Oct-17 08:36:56

No you certainly don’t need set timings. If you want a structure look at the EASY routine. Baby wakes and Eats, then Activity, could just be nappy change if tiny or chatting and cuddles or songs, then you try to get baby to Sleep followed by You time. You time normally at this stage is basic needs, toilet, eating and getting dressed.

Fevs Sun 22-Oct-17 09:37:21

I started implementing more of a routine at around 4 months, but that was just a personal preference for me and what felt like the right time. I started off slowly then became a bit more stricter the older she got - she’s 2.5 now.
At 10 wks I really wouldn’t worry or put that pressure on yourself. It sounds like you’re doing a great job!

Cuppaqueen Sun 22-Oct-17 15:55:01

Agree with pp there is no right or wrong here, just what works for you and baby. We did start a routine from about 6 weeks but it was pretty flexible at that stage - more of a target to work towards. DS was EBF too so the various growth spurts etc often meant extra feeds, but I liked the structure of getting up at a set time, feed, awake time, naptime etc. It did pay off for us in that by 3 months DS was having predictable naps and we had our evenings back as he slept from 7pm. But then 4 month regression hit and it went to pot for another few weeks grin I'd just read up on routines and see if it appeals. EASY is a simple and flexible framework to start on if you do decide to try it.

Oly5 Sun 22-Oct-17 15:57:55

No need for a routine at 10 weeks.. your baby will just throw it out of the window! Sounds like you are doing great.
I only really try for more regular nap times around the 6 month mark

nuttyknitter Sun 22-Oct-17 16:01:59

Some babies find their own routine but most don’t! At 10 weeks the best you can do is follow your baby’s cues and play it by ear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now