Talk

Advanced search

12 week old won't sleep unless on me... first night

(6 Posts)
Nightscroller1 Thu 19-Oct-17 00:49:17

My LO is 12 weeks and 2 days. It's normally a fight to get her to sleep but she'll go down. With everything being done that's mentioned on other posts.

Tonight she hasn't settled at all (and I've been trying since 8). She is only sleeping on me and will cry when she's put down.

Is this a one off - what can i do?! Is it normal?!

FATEdestiny Thu 19-Oct-17 10:57:25

If it's a one off I wouldn't worry. The most likely reason is over tired (lack of cumulative sleep over preceding 24/48h). It just means baby needs extra help getting to sleep this whilst exhausted.

Get out of the over tiredness and it should sort itself out.

crazycatlady5 Thu 19-Oct-17 14:02:56

It’s totally normal! Some are like it from birth, they just want to be near their mothers, she’s used to your heartbeat and warmth and smell. Things I would suggest that work for some:

- look into safe cosleeping. An absolute blessing for me but not for everyone
- invest in a sleepyhead. Makes them feel they are still snuggled up
- pre warm sleepyhead/Moses basket with a hot water bottle (obviously not too hot)
- leave something that smells of you in the basket (I put one of my tshirts over the sleepyhead so it was tight like a sheet and she was essentially sleeping on my chest)
- try a dummy

Xx

crazycatlady5 Thu 19-Oct-17 14:04:11

What I will say is you must both be exhausted trying from 8pm till almost 1am. Try the things I have suggested and if all else fails I really suggest looking into safe cosleeping as she just wants to be near you smile

Nightscroller1 Thu 19-Oct-17 14:05:32

Thanks both. I really don't want to cosleep and she won't take a dummy unfortunately! I do all of the other 3, last night I eventually had her fall asleep on me, move her to the bed next to me, put her on my pj top and lifted her into her warm sleepy head... I guess I'm just not used to this as she slept when she was first born. I'm feeling sorry for myself today! Xx

crazycatlady5 Thu 19-Oct-17 14:09:52

I totally understand how you’re feeling sad it’s so exhausting. Keep trying with the pj top, sleepyhead, warm scenario and see how you get on. She’ll get there I’m sure xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now