Talk

Advanced search

Catnapping

(3 Posts)
Sunnyx Wed 18-Oct-17 19:12:07

My 5 and a half month old is being such a cat napped recently. I’ve had to up his number of naps to 4 as they’re only lasting half hour. I really don’t think he’s done with each nap and wants to sleep longer. He seems to be in a state of constant tiredness although he is generally still happy and content.

Any other mummies had this and is it just a phase? He used to nap for up to 3 hours in one nap!

My problem is I want to stop breastfeeding but he always requires feeding to sleep for naps. He can self settle well at night though.

I have managed to get him to self settle for a few naps but this seems to really depend on how tired he is and given he seems tired all the time now it’s not working! He whinges when I try so I just end up feeding to sleep!

So....is this just a phase? Can I teach him to nap longer so he’s less tired then work on self settling?

FATEdestiny Wed 18-Oct-17 20:32:31

I kept naps in the bouncer until they extended and used that to help baby link sleep cycles.

Mine were all before 5 months when doing this though. I used to put in bouncer with dummy and at any slight stirring awake I would start bouncing with my foot to lull back to sleep. Quite quickly baby stopped storring between sleep cycles so naps became routinely 90 minutes plus. At that point I moved naps ibt o the cot.

Do you have a resettling method that can be done without baby properly waking up?

Sunnyx Thu 19-Oct-17 06:30:53

I try to do nothing to get him to sleep tbh...I play music and lie next to him with my eyes closed and basically ignore him. A few times he has fallen asleep doing this but sometimes I have to stroke over his eyes. I have fed to sleep 99% of the time and held while naps. But recently he has been resisting thus unless I am in a dark quiet room. Trying to break the habit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now