Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Birthday present -8 hrs uninterrupted sleep?

(9 Posts)
Newbiecat Tue 17-Oct-17 04:54:11

It's my birthday soon and my husband is asking what I'd like. Seriously, the only thing I want st the minute is sleep!

Tonight, Ophelia can piss off-
the winds have woken my light sleeping 13 month old (who is a crappy sleeper anyway ) at midnight and 0430, and my 7 year old at 0230, then my 5 year old has been up 0330 needing his inhaler for this constant cough which his classmates seem to be merrily passing round.
I've just gone back to work after maternity leave and I've had it. Husband decamped to spare room at midnight (with earplugs) as he couldn't sleep!
Am I being pathetic to ask for literally a full night off for me with earplugs as my birthday present?
The baby is still BF morning, bedtime then once at night, tho the nighttime is just comfort, he often can settle with cuddles tho he is used to me, he can settle with my husband. Not sure if I'm being grumpy and a bit unfair to expect DH to take over for the night since baby is still quite small.

isthistoonosy Tue 17-Oct-17 05:07:38

Yabu tjis should be shared anyway.

Do you both work full time? If yes then nights should be shared either one night on one night off or split shifts e.g. You have kids 9-2am he has them 2-7, the one off shift uses earplugs and sleeps.
You can't work and get no sleep long term.

Theworldisfullofidiots Tue 17-Oct-17 05:31:55

Book a hotel.
And ydnbu

FATEdestiny Tue 17-Oct-17 08:14:27

Book a grandparent babysitter and a hotel.

After 4 children (at the time with an age range 2-12) the only thing I wanted for my 40th was time away from the responsibilities of being a parent. Proper rest in the day and lots of sleep.

We had 5 nights winter sun and grandparents (both sets) moved ibt o our house for the week to be loco-parents.

It was BLISS and I cannot think of a better way to mark my birthday. YANBU

gg44 Tue 17-Oct-17 19:36:21

A night off shouldn’t be a present, it should be par for the course! Admittedly if a breastfeed is needed there’s not much your husband can do about that, but why couldn’t he bring baby to you in bed, and leave you to sleep again as soon as you’re done?

I think he is being extremely unreasonable not to share the nights if both of you are working - you shouldn’t have to ask for it as a present!

Newbiecat Wed 18-Oct-17 05:21:54

Thanks all for replies! I'm
Slightly less grumpy today tho currently up with DS who had his 4 injections yesterday and has a fever poor little mite.
I work part time - 3 days a week and to be fair my husband does work long hours including overnight on calls in a challenging job. I think I was more miffed that he had decamped upstairs when he was off the next day. He did say yesterday morning I should have woken him up for help with the other two and to do so next time. I hate waking people though and by the time I have I could have sorted things myself.
I think because I have had a full year on maternity leave, he's probably just got into the routine of me doing more. We had a chat and I think he now gets how chronically tired I've been recently so we discussed me having morning lie ins at weekends. It does make more sense for us both not to be up and shattered so at least he can do things with the other two without being knackered.
I need to wean the middle of night breastfeed I guess, then maybe I can get my night off!

SleveMcDichael Thu 19-Oct-17 08:39:42

Ten hours plus breakfast in bed - absolute minimum.

OuchBollocks Thu 19-Oct-17 08:44:32

For my birthday last year I asked everyone for money to spend on a hotel stay. I had dinner bed and breakfast plus a massage in a lovely spa hotel. It was amazing.

Only nights sleep that hasn't been interrupted by a child in over 3 years. I was wide awake at 6am grin

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Thu 19-Oct-17 08:50:15

I gave 'sleep' to a dd and son in law for her birthday. Dinner, B and B and a lie-in - in a nice hotel locally, while Dh and I stayed at theirs and babysat. I did ask first whether it was what she'd like!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now