Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Signs of dropping a nap

(11 Posts)
Mummywithatummy Mon 16-Oct-17 18:05:00

Hiya,

My 11 month old has always been a great sleeper but past two weeks she is waking nearer 5am and really fighting her 2pm nap. She's not getting tired until 3.30/4pm now which I think is too late for a nap. This is her routine at the moment. What were your signs your baby wanted to drop a nap?! I was thinking to try get her to 11am-1pm but I don't know if she's too young for just one nap? Also she's currently having lunch at 11.30am and dinner about 3.30/4pm so would have to move her food schedule for this new nap, I can't see her making it to 12pm after lunch for a nap.

Currently
Awake 6am (although suddenly waking about 5am ready to start day and not ratty)
Nap 9am-10am but sometimes wants to sleep longer
Nap 2pm-3pm but completly fighting this at the moment
Bed 7.30pm (now she is fighting the afternoon nap she is obviously well tired by this time)

Let me know what yous think xx

Mummywithatummy Mon 16-Oct-17 18:06:23

Btw she's been on this routine since about 6 months (although back then morning nap lasted til 11am) and haven't had any problems she's normally like clock work even when teething etc xx

Mummywithatummy Mon 16-Oct-17 18:08:50

Also - ha - she doesn't seem as tired at 9am like she once did, although will still get herself to sleep for that nap and doesn't fight it xx

Ashpan26 Mon 16-Oct-17 19:12:58

Following as I think my DD is doing the same

KTD27 Mon 16-Oct-17 19:59:57

Yes yes absolutely she sounds exactly like my little one before he dropped his first nap just before 12 months. Try push it back half an hour and see how she gets on.
Especially if she is early waking she is using the first nap to catch up night time sleep so not ideal to get the later mornings back!

ImMrsBrightside Mon 16-Oct-17 21:07:56

This sounds exactly like my almost 11 month old right now! It's been going on for over a week and today I tried one nap 12-2. She only lasted 12 to 1.30 and fell asleep at 5.45 shock Think I'm in for a brutal wake up call...

Anyway, I read that they shouldn't drop to one nap until around 14 months???

Kind of hoping this is just (yet another bloody) phase and that I can ride it out!

Kentnurse2015 Mon 16-Oct-17 21:10:56

Both of mine dropped to 1 nap around 9 months. Earlier than pretty much anyone else but it suited. They generally had 1 longer nap around 11am (2 hours +) and then it gradually transitioned to after lunch for a couple of hours

Mummywithatummy Mon 16-Oct-17 21:43:30

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm going to see if I can get her to 11am tmw for a nap, and see what happens! If I can get her doing 10.30/ 11-1 for now and then later on 12-2 that would be great. Wish me luck ha x

FATEdestiny Mon 16-Oct-17 21:54:31

You dont have to straight swap to 1-nap days.

I would try a busy morning and very early lunch, to see if you can keep her awake until at least 11am and one nap.

But then the following day or two, she might want to go back to a morning nap (but keep it short) and afternoon nap to 'catch up'. Then try a 1-nap day again, maybe two 1-nap days in a row.

My point being that this can be a gradual transition, rather than a straight swap to single naps.

KTD27 Tue 17-Oct-17 06:44:15

Totally agree with fate. There will be some days she needs two and they will be more often than not at the beginning of the transition but you'll find she manages one nap days more frequently and without becoming overtired as she gets a little older. Good luck! We found playgroups or softplay and very very short car journeys were the key to success at the beginning. Get them out and busy and without chance to fall asleep on the way home

LapinR0se Tue 17-Oct-17 13:10:03

You can try shortening the morning nap and aim for a day like this:
Nap 9-9.30 or 9.15-9.45
Lunch 11.30
Nap 12.30-2.30 or 1-3

This will help with the early morning waking too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now