Talk

Advanced search

12 month old sleep

(12 Posts)
wetsnow Mon 16-Oct-17 06:06:22

Pleare help me solve my 12 month year olds sleep problem...
She naps well in the day.. 2 naps morning 8.30 for an hour and pm 12.30 for 2 hours.
She self settles for naps. Eats very well.

We have the same routine every night.
Dinner... bath.. pjs and sleepy cream.. nightgarden then up stairs for a breast feed... teeth and a story. Then into cot where she immediately screams the house down and I end up going in and patting. Last night I had to rock her to sleep.

She will then sleep till about midnight and then wake several times but if she wakes any time after 3am she will definitely not go back to sleep.
Most days 4am is morning. I'm back at work and I'm beyond shattered.
Why is her cot fine in the day but come night time it's like a piranha pit. 😬😩😴
She point blank refused to settle in my bed.. thrashing about and crying.
Help!!!!

crazycatlady5 Mon 16-Oct-17 09:07:47

So sorry you’re having a hard time although this doesn’t sound like she has a ‘problem’ at all to me it just sounds like a he is asking you to help her go to sleep, some need this more for naps, others more for bedtime. Mine won’t go to sleep for either without massive assistance from me. As for 4am wake up this could be something to do with her daytime nap pattern? I am not an expert at napping as I have a catnapper/map refuser! I’m sure someone else can help with that x

crazychemist Mon 16-Oct-17 11:06:04

Could this be the onset of separation anxiety? Some kids are much more anxious about this at night when there are fewer distractions.

Sorry, can't be much help, my 12 month old is also inexplicably worse at sleep right now - she's always preferred to feed to sleep and this hasn't been a huge problem so far, on days that I'm at work she settles for naps in other ways. The last four days she's only gone to sleep if fed to sleep cuddled up in my lap. I'm hoping that it's a phase or that she's clingy because she's feeling under the weather, I hope one of those is the case for you too.

wetsnow Mon 16-Oct-17 11:52:32

Not sure could be separation. She's been at nursery a few weeks and is fine going.

I do try and help her go sleep by patting her back at 3am but she thrashes about.. Won't feed to sleep.. Won't sleep in our bed. By 5am I give up and today we started the day at 5. Ugh.

Thanks ladies. Really I just needed to vent this morning.

crazycatlady5 Mon 16-Oct-17 13:49:19

It’s so hard isn’t it and sometimes venting can help - hope you get some rest soon mama x

crazychemist Mon 16-Oct-17 15:06:40

If she recently started at nursery could be fighting a low level bug. Great for developing her immune system, but could be making her uncomfortable enough to disrupt sleep.

Do you have any family that could do an early morning to give you a break?

From the timing of her naps, it looks like she's on an early rise, early bedtime routine. Have you considered adjusting the timing by ten minutes a day to creep it forward to see if that deals with the early rising?

LapinR0se Mon 16-Oct-17 15:12:45

What time is she going to bed for the night?

wetsnow Mon 16-Oct-17 15:38:19

We've been going up at about 7. Thibk maybe too late but always eat at 6 with dh. I'm planning today to do early tea for dds and up to bed at 6.

She's also been getting her first teeth this last month which hasn't helped matters

LapinR0se Mon 16-Oct-17 16:13:37

Yes I'd try a 6.30 bedtime for now, and start pushing the morning nap back by 5-10 mins a day. You're aiming for about 30-40 mins at 9 am and a 1-3 nap then 7pm bedtime

FATEdestiny Mon 16-Oct-17 21:40:53

Starting nursery could be a trigger for separation anxiety. If she's been used to you always being there until a few weeks ago, she might just need some time and patience to get used to things.

I would try being more reassuring than normal at bedtime. Not long term, just through this little phase.

wetsnow Tue 17-Oct-17 07:24:49

So she was asleep by 6.30 slept right through till 4am. I fed her her and then rubbed her back and she went back down till 5.45. So I think earlier bed times might be the way forward for now.

LapinR0se Tue 17-Oct-17 09:07:53

Yes definitely, stick with the earlier bedtime and hopefully she will go later in the mornings

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: