Talk

Advanced search

How to transfer from co-sleeping.

(7 Posts)
blueberry71 Sun 15-Oct-17 19:16:40

My daughter has just turned 7 months. She currently sleeps in our bed in her sleepyhead. We are about to buy her a cot for her nursery and are going to start moving her to her own room. Can any co-sleeping parents give me any advice/tips on how to do the transition? I love co-sleeping but I know for the future it’ll be the best thing. For example when she stays with grandparents etc.

BerryBee Sun 15-Oct-17 19:42:55

I had my DD in a sleepyhead in a Next to me by my bed, so not too dissimilar to your set up. When she was 6 months we moved her to her cot in the nursery but still in the sleepyhead. I was worried the change would disturb her but she was absolutely fine so your baby may be too. I think keeping her in the sleepyhead made the transition less noticeable for her.

I only moved her at 6 months as she had started (mainly) sleeping through (if you count 5.30 as morning!!!)

Incidentally, when we removed the sleepyhead (at about 8 months I think) she was also fine! Just one change at a time helps I think.

Good luck!

blueberry71 Sun 15-Oct-17 20:04:09

Thanks! She’s a good sleeper anyway (I always say fingers crossed when I say that! lol). So hopefully it should be ok. I will keep her in the sleepyhead in her own cot until she’s settled as well. Thanks for the advice. X

BerryBee Sun 15-Oct-17 20:21:00

grin I know exactly what you mean! I always caveat my statements about good sleeping with a "for now"!!

blueberry71 Sun 15-Oct-17 21:22:13

Ha ha never like to be too cocky when I say that! Just in case! Any recommendations for cots? Really struggling as there’s so many to choose one. Preferably want one that will turn into a bed for when she’s older. X

BerryBee Mon 16-Oct-17 06:46:30

I just got a cot from Ikea! I think the mattress is more important in terms of baby's comfort. We like ours which is from John Lewis but they probably do cot bed size too:

m.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-pocket-spring-cot-mattress-120-x-60cm/p1575328

Also, often posters on here recommend putting the cot next to your bed and having mattresses at the same height (in case sleeping goes to pot and you want to co sleep again). In which case the various base heights of the cot bed become important. So that could be something to consider potentially.

blueberry71 Mon 16-Oct-17 18:25:48

Thanks! I’ve ordered the Martha sleigh one from John Lewis so fingers crossed. Ordered the mattress you recommended as well. I have the chicco next to me cot in our room which she never ended up in, so if worse comes to worse I can try her in there if she doesn’t like the cot. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now