Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Clocks go back???

(12 Posts)
Sunnyx Sat 14-Oct-17 07:04:11

Ok, so I’m thinking my 5 months old goes to bed 6:30pm and wake 05:30 am most nights. He’s knackered by the end of the day so have always felt bad keeping him up.

But with the clock changes end of month, he’ll effectively be going to bed at 5:30 and awake at 04:30am!!!! I need to shift his bedtime/body clock and thinking of starting now.

Any tips? Gradual change or just straight away keep him up for an extra hour with distractions?

BikeRunSki Sat 14-Oct-17 07:07:36

I used to take mine swimming the day before, to wear them out enough to sleep through later.

Babydreaming Sat 14-Oct-17 07:07:57

I’ve been having the exact same worries!!!

My 10 month old goes to bed at 7pm and wakes between 5.30-6am. I’m dreading that becoming 4.30am.

My plan (but it will probably fail) is from Monday keep him up til7.30pm for 1 week. He will probably still wake early for a while but I’m hoping it might push him back a bit... then the next week push to 8pm so when the clocks go back that will be the same as his 7pm bedtime!

Let me know what you think...sometimes when I put him to bed later he ends up waking earlier so I’m dreading it!

Sunnyx Sat 14-Oct-17 07:44:02

Baby dreaming I was thinking of doing that too! Surely after a week or two of new bedtime, they will adjust. I just feel so bad keeping him up when he looks so tired! It’s why his bedtime has been slowly creeping forward...he used to go to bed 8pm a couple of months ago! I wanted to make it an hour later anyway to get his wake up time earlier but this clock malarkey has ruined my plans!!

lovewatchingrainfall Sat 14-Oct-17 07:46:53

I forgot about the clocks and my 10month goes to bed at 4:30 and is awake at 5:15 not looking forward to the early start.

My eldest goes to bed at 6 and is awake at 4:30.
We always the week before just try and get her to bed a bit later by 10mins each day on the run up it is hard but worth it.

FATEdestiny Sat 14-Oct-17 11:17:50

I always go straight for it, work to the correct tine from as soon as the cjiodren wake. It usually only takes a day or two to adjust to the change, easily within a week.

MrsBriteSide Sat 14-Oct-17 11:41:54

I posted about this yesterday as have the same concerns about my 6 month old. I pushed her bedtime back 10 mins last night (aiming to do this each night in the run up) as I don't think she could handle just going to bed a full hour later on the day of the change. I'm going to try the gradual approach and hopefully it won't be too painful when the clocks do change! I'm most worried about early rising. Fingers crossed it's all ok...

BerryBee Sat 14-Oct-17 18:23:57

Fate please can you explain what you mean a bit more. I normally put DD down for first nap after 2.5 hours awake. If she wakes an hour earlier are you suggesting I put her down after 3.5 hours to make up the difference? Thanks!

FATEdestiny Sat 14-Oct-17 20:49:15

Yes, that's what I mean.

Once baby is old enough to have a routine, then I shift that whole routine to the the "correct" time as soon as we wake. For example if nap is usually 9am (2h after waking at the normal 7am), then firstly I would bring child into my bed upon waking (expecting somewhere around 6am when clocks change) and attempt to keep every one in bed as close to 7am as possible. Then do nap at 9am even though bodyclock considers that 10am. Likewise waking from nap and all meal times.

Makes for one difficult day and sometimes one additional slightly challenging day, then that's it.

BerryBee Sun 15-Oct-17 06:00:57

Great, thanks. I'll give it a go when the day comes! My DD finds it so hard to settle when overtired so I like the idea of keeping her in my bed for as long as possible.

MrsJamin Sun 15-Oct-17 06:14:44

Yeah, it's that weird thing that the October clock change becomes worse than the spring one when you have children! Just try and extend your normal routine by a few minutes every day before the clock change, and yes it will be horrible looking at the clock and seeing 4.30 but you do just get through it and a week later it will be nearly normal again. I had an early waking Ds1.

HashtagTired Sun 15-Oct-17 06:21:37

Bike - Haha. I imagine the swimming pools are busy that day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now