Talk

Advanced search

Poor sleeper - on a 20 minute cycle - help!!

(2 Posts)
Kippers99 Tue 10-Oct-17 11:33:35

Hello,

My beautiful little girl is just coming up 2. She has never needed much sleep, around 9 hours has been her average since birth. Over the last 6 months in particular though, she has developed a terrible sleeping cycle.

She goes to bed between 7:30 - 8pm (always in bed for 7:30), sleeps until 11ish and then wakes up virtually every 20 minutes from then on in until we get up at just gone 5am.

I'm pretty lucky, I can operate on very little sleep. My DH on the other hand can't cope at all, so I do every night. He will try but he genuinely doesn't function after even one shift. I'm ok with that, we all have our strong points. I'm not a particularly good sleeper myself, so getting off again when she drops off is quite hard for me though. I'm getting about 4 hours of sleep a night.

I've tried everything. She is in her own bed and she has a bear that she cuddles. I don't make a fuss of her when she wakes and help her to lay back down and sleep, which she's getting really good at. She does suffer really badly with night terrors and when she wakes she's screaming and in a terrible state (sometimes awake but mostly not really).

By 3am, I'm desperate. It's a rod for my back but I eventually get in with her just to get an hour or so, even with me she's waking and upset though. I'm not happy to leave her to cry herself to sleep, I don't think it's good stress wise but also, after about 5-10 minutes, she will vomit everywhere without fail so it's incredibly counter-productive.

I'm functioning and that's just about it. In the last month, I've had pneumonia, pleurisy and now I have a bad cold. My health is shot! I work full time and it's really suffering as I've had to take quite a bit of time off to recover and here I am again feeling really poorly. Its obviously related sad

I know that there's no miracle cure, I'm not really a forum person really but I am just needing a little support. I'm so tired of people telling me to just letting her cry to sleep will be an instant cure and that I should sleep in the day.

I'm so utterly drained sad

trumpthunder Tue 10-Oct-17 11:55:29

My son now 11 has never slept well. He’s a lot better now but still wakes early. I slept on an air bed in his room right next to his bed for a while, possibly a couple of weeks at a time. Found the simple act of just not having to get out of bed helped me, also you are there straight away when they wake. It is exhausting, try and find a way to cope with tiredness, having a nap getting DP to do weekend shift. You are not alone xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now