Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dummies and frequent wake ups!

(17 Posts)
Myusername2015 Tue 10-Oct-17 10:12:35

Hi all; my almost 4 month old has always been a good sleeper from about 10 weeks he was sleeping 7pm-5am. Recently though he is waking practically every hour and needs his dummy putting back in: he then goes straight back off but I’m exhausted. Do you think it’s a good idea to get rid of the dummy? How else can I get him off in the night to avoid replacing a crutch with a crutch? Thanks

Sipperskipper Tue 10-Oct-17 10:20:58

I have this exact same situation - been going on for nearly a month now. No advice though!

smellybeanpole Tue 10-Oct-17 10:24:21

I had this with my dd. Only thing that worked for us was to go cold turkey. Struggled for a few nights. But she soon settled herself back to sleep.

ShuttyTown Tue 10-Oct-17 10:31:12

Try buying the next size up dummy it shouldn’t fall out of his mouth once asleep unless he pushes it with his tongue

Myusername2015 Tue 10-Oct-17 10:33:03

Thanks all; sorry to hear you are going through the same sipper! He does push the dummy out as soon as he’s asleep. Smellybeanpole what did you do when she woke during the night instead of the dummy?

BitOutOfPractice Tue 10-Oct-17 11:07:59

This exact same thing happened with my dd atxabout 6 months. I was up 10 times a night to pop the dummy back in. So one night I just didn’t give it. She grizzled a bit for one night. Then was fine. Never looked back.

loveulotslikejellytots Tue 10-Oct-17 12:21:35

Going cold turkey is probably the sensible advice. But when dd was younger and kept spitting it out, we put hers on a dummy clip, clipped to her babygrow. We used the Mam ones the same brand as her dummy.They are short and wide, non stretchy materialso they can't get wrapped around fingers or necks. She learnt to find it herself without even waking up.

But if you want to try weaning her off it, that's probably better advice!

smellybeanpole Tue 10-Oct-17 18:05:36

She would scream so bad so many times during the nights I was very close to giving in. My dd has a very loud scream. Anyway I would go up to her and stroke her head for a few minutes and just re assure her im there in a quiet voice. Then go back to bed.She would calm down and fall asleep but wake up again several times. It was exhausting but well worth it. As after day three she probably only get up once or twice and that was way more manageable then say a 100?😩
This system is not for everyone as I know many don't like to let their lo cry too much. But it worked for us. (I also used the Ferber method to sleep train her ). Good luck.

Lozmatoz Tue 10-Oct-17 18:12:51

I got rid of my first pieces to me when he was seven months old.

rico9 Wed 11-Oct-17 11:47:24

Hello,I would suggest removing the dummy. The dummy does more damage than good. Although studies show that dummies soothe baby, babies naturally learn how to soothe themselves within the first weeks of birth. Dummies also cause ear infections because of the constant sucking and saliva, and dependency to calm down as you can see 🙁 as well as teeth and jaw issues. I would highly suggest slowly removing the dummy he'll learn how to calm himself down with time🙂

FortheloveofJames Wed 11-Oct-17 20:12:08

Is baby going to sleep with the dummy/using dummy to settle ?

LauraMcW Wed 11-Oct-17 21:10:41

I went through this with my lo around same age. I put it down to sleep regression, she would wake 10-15 times a night for her dummy 🙈 It did pass but I got a sleepytot and she quickly learned to find her dummy herself, would highly recommend!

Sipperskipper Thu 12-Oct-17 07:16:02

Yes my baby goes to sleep with dummy & uses it to settle. laura how long did it take to pass? And how old was she when she could find it herself?

FortheloveofJames Thu 12-Oct-17 09:26:58

The 4 month regression means more waking and if baby is using dummy to fall asleep, they will probably be looking for it when they wake up, but obviously can't put it back in when they are so little.

My DS doesn't use a dummy- won't take one even though I've tried- but one of my good friends went through this with her twins. She went for about a week getting up and putting back in, but then just decided to go cold turkey. She said they protested for 3 days and each day was less than the first. After that it wasn't an issue and the dummies were gone.

arbrighton Thu 12-Oct-17 16:54:32

@shuttytown

rubbish! Babies stop sucking and relax when deeply asleep so dummy often then falls out.

Entirely different to pushing it out with tongue when awake (and it flies across room onto floor)

LauraMcW Thu 12-Oct-17 22:36:44

I can't remember exactly but maybe about a month? I think she just started sleeping better and stopped looking for it as much then. She was in her own room from 6 months and finding the dummy herself. I attached 2 to the sleepytot to make it easier. During the day I would try to give it to her in her hand when she wanted it so she could practice getting it in. Hope things get easier soon it's tough going, nearly drove me insane! Definitely a phase though and will pass!

Sipperskipper Fri 13-Oct-17 08:22:02

Thanks all, I'm going to get a sleepytot. And stop swaddling as she'll never find the dummy all wrapped up! I don't really wan't to lose the dummy all together, she loves it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now