Talk

Advanced search

Night wakings- 5 month old wants to play!

(4 Posts)
Gaagaa Tue 10-Oct-17 09:27:24

Our 5.5 month old DS goes down reasonably well at 6.30, naps ok in the day but still feeds (BF) between 3-5 hourly at night. That I don't mind but what is hard is that after feeding sometimes he is wide awake and won't go down again for another hour and a half. DH or I usually take him downstairs because we can have a cuppa on the sofa and DS can tire himself out more quickly

So last night
Bed 6.30
Fed 9ish and straight back to sleep
Fed 12ish and awake for hour and a half
Fed 4ish and awake for an hour and a half
Back to bed and awake at 8

Any tips to try and avoid the wakings?
Are we doing the wrong thing coming downstairs?
We are just starting to wean him- will this help?

Thanks

FATEdestiny Tue 10-Oct-17 09:37:36

I would not being baby downstairs in the middle of the night. Baby should be staying in the bedroom and ideally in the cot (or your bed if you cosleep) throughout and awake time.

Is the cot next to your bed? Can you leave baby in there while awake, comforting on the cot by leaning your arm over.

I would be working on a dettling method that does not involve feeding.

FATEdestiny Tue 10-Oct-17 09:37:52

settling* method

Gaagaa Tue 10-Oct-17 10:07:42

Thanks Fate

He just moved into his own room a couple of weeks ago, but the wakeful times have been going on before then.

I bring him in to feed in our bed - he always seems hungry but I guess this might just be habit? and then transfer him back to cot. If he wakes too much then it is usually 90 mins or so till sleep again

DS and I will spend up to half an hour trying to settle him back to sleep before cracking and bringing him down - think maybe I need to break this habit and leave DS in cot. He doesn't get really distressed but will just be wide awake and noisy.

We use grobag, dummy, Ewan for settling which works fine some of the time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now