Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have a toddler with sleep apnea?

(3 Posts)
MeriReu Mon 09-Oct-17 01:40:27

I'm so tired ๐Ÿ˜“

My 3.5 year old DS has obstructive sleep apnea - he's has his tonsils & adenoids out 16 days ago. I really hope the removal helps his sleep soon - I'm completely exhausted.

I've been up for just over an hour so far, first waking since he went down just after 8.
He wakes up screaming and will not/cannot settle himself so I have to either lay with him or sit and tickle his back until he calms down and sleeps again. This happens multiple times a night.

Tonight I tried a new tactic. Sit outside the bedroom door and if he stirs (after I've calmed him and lied him down) I'll shush from out here but not go in.
Over an hour later he's still crying every few minutes. I'm exhausted.
Should I accept I'm most likely going to sleep in my toddlers bed every night until he outgrows this? I miss my bed!

This is probably all ramblings due to lack of sleep. I can't believe he's still awake.
God help me tomorrow brew

peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 09-Oct-17 02:06:06

Laying in his bed and tickling his back is a separate issue - those are sleep associations and he feels unable to get back to sleep without them. You'll have to spend some time sleep training to get him self-soothing.
I don't know about sleep apnoea, or how that changes the situation, though. Is he still sore from the operation?

MeriReu Mon 09-Oct-17 09:22:45

His sleep apnoea wakes him up a handful/alot times a night. He's still sore so that's not helping but his OSA wont just disappear overnight unfortunately

Yeah I know it's an issue but it's the only way I could get him to sleep after night terrors and it kind of stuck with him so he's not scared.

How do I go about sleep training? Thanks for your reply

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now