Talk

Advanced search

Cold at night in grobag

(23 Posts)
MumofthreeandBean Thu 05-Oct-17 21:29:21

I just want some advice about nighttime.

Bedroom temp 24 degrees, but will drop as weather changes.

Baby (5months) is wearing long sleeve vest and Sleepsuit and is in a 2.5tog grobag.
She wakes regularly and feels chilly to touch so I put on a knitted cardi. Sometimes she is still chilly.

What I want to know is can she wear a fleece Sleepsuit and a grobag?
Should I invest in a 3.5 tog bag?
Can I use a blanket over grobag?
Would laying on a fleece blanket help??

I don't want her to overheat and I'm sure I read somewhere about fleece and overheating?! But that may be newborns?!

Thanks

ThursdayLastWeek Thu 05-Oct-17 21:33:43

I read somewhere that babies often have cold extremities when they sleep and the best way to fell their temp is to try and feel their chest or belly.

Obviously I don’t know your baby but mine would be a sweaty mess in fleece and a gro bag!

In your shoes I would invest in a higher tog smile

greatminds Thu 05-Oct-17 21:38:35

My 18 month old is in a sleep suit and thickish grow bag. Her room is 19 degrees.

She doesn’t feel cold - but I am a little worried now!

furryelephant Thu 05-Oct-17 21:50:31

Obviously every baby is different but that seems a lot to wear in 24 degrees to me. It's 20 degrees in our room and my 10 month old is in a vest, pjs and 1 tog bag shockI tend to go roughly by this guide and see how she seems.

Wellandtrulyoutnumbered Thu 05-Oct-17 21:52:36

Where are you testing her temp? No to any fleece and extra blankets. No to wooly cardi too.

RNBrie Thu 05-Oct-17 21:55:03

Jojo Maman Bebe do a sleep snuggler which is like a sleeping bag but has arms and legs. We have one but we've only ever used it when camping as it's never been cold enough to really need it in doors.

dementedpixie Thu 05-Oct-17 21:58:02

Where are you testing the temperature? Hands are not a good guide. She sounds like she is wearing an awful lot for that temperature.

rhodes2015 Thu 05-Oct-17 22:00:03

My baby is 3 months and she's wearing a sleepsuit with a 1 tog sleeping bag, room is 19/20 degrees. I use the same guide as furryelephant.

SleepingInYourFlowerbed Thu 05-Oct-17 22:00:12

That does sound a lot at 24 degrees. Our room is 20 degrees and 9 month old is in vest, pjs and 2.5 tog sleeping bag. He's always been a chilly baby. Check their temperature by putting hand down the back or front of the bag

INeedNewShoes Thu 05-Oct-17 22:01:22

At 5 months, although not a newborn, I'd say you still need to be careful about overheating.

24 degrees is very very warm. Are you in the UK?

Advice is generally for baby's room to be no more than 21 degrees.

It's also good for baby's skin to be able to 'breathe' a bit so for that reason too I'd definitely avoid fleece.

RandomMess Thu 05-Oct-17 22:17:31

There hands should be cold, it's their core temperature that matters!

DemonBaby Thu 05-Oct-17 22:18:52

Babies always feel quite cold. Even now my toddler frequently feels very cold when sleeping but he's fine.

They wake up and complain if they're uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry

DemonBaby Thu 05-Oct-17 22:20:03

It's 22c in my 18mos room tonight (London) and he's in vest and pjs with a 2.5 tog grobag. He's fine.

Oly5 Thu 05-Oct-17 22:23:31

Babies always feel cold to the touch. Don't overheat your baby! Follow the guidelines

HavingAnOffDAy Thu 05-Oct-17 22:25:56

My DS is 6 now, but he’s always felt the cold a lot more than his older sister.

He used to wake in the night & we couldn’t establish any reason for it other than he had really cold hands. His room was the ‘correct’ temp otherwise & his chest/torso felt warm enough

We bought him a gro bag with detachable arms, from vertbaudet I think, and his night waking stopped straight away

user1493413286 Thu 05-Oct-17 22:32:17

That seems an awful lot, at 24c my 5 month old wears a 1.5 tog grobag and short sleeve vest. Now it’s 21 and she’s just moved to 2.5 tog with long sleeve vest.
I’d try taking her temperature to see if it is actually low and if it then take her to the GP.

MumofthreeandBean Thu 05-Oct-17 23:22:14

I think I will buy a new room thermometer first - maybe ours is faulty as I am not warm either.

I am feeling her back/chest ( her hands are always cold)

riddles26 Fri 06-Oct-17 11:44:18

Definitely check your thermometer. 24 degrees is really warm, my daughter would be in just a short sleeved vest with a 0.5/1 tog gro bag at that temperature.

Her room currently averages 19/20 degrees at night right now and she's in a long sleeved vest or baby gro with a 2.5 tog gro bag. Her hands are often cool to tough but rest of her is warm

Desmondo2016 Fri 06-Oct-17 17:50:34

My baby monitor tells me it is akways 4 degrees warmer than the gro egg. It's a couple feet higher so I guess heat rises lol plus there's a degree of variability. However, I'd forget the numbers and go with how it feels. Generally speaking a vest, sleepsuits and 2.5tog bag is going to be fine. I think all this gadgetry of modern parenting stops us just using our noggins

CurlsLDN Fri 06-Oct-17 17:54:25

You could try a grosuit if she has cold arms/hands. It's a sleepsuit with quilted sleeves to be used with a grobag

abigailgabble Fri 06-Oct-17 21:16:00

24 degrees is way too hot for sleeping! our house is on the warm side and currently 19.9 in 5mo room. he's wearing a 2.5 tog bag and a long sleeved baby gro (no legged one). cold hands are normal for small babies - not necessarily a reason to rug up.

gamerpigeon Fri 06-Oct-17 21:21:27

It’s never been lower than 21 degrees in our room since I had my baby 5 months ago - there’s nothing I can do to cool it any lower than that.

Baby is in 1.5 tog sleeping bag and a sleepsuit. She is a warm baby though!

I think 2.5 tog sleeping bags are for 18-20 degrees?

Sunshinegirl82 Sat 07-Oct-17 20:49:40

At 24 degrees DS would be in a short sleeved vest and 1 tog slumbersac (the ones with feet so his feet are out). He never wears more than a long sleeved vest and I don't put him in his 2.5 tog bag until the temperature is 20 degrees or below. Sometimes babies can feel cool because they are sweating due to being too hot. If the room really is 24 degrees I'd try a long sleeved vest and 1 tog gro bag at the absolute max.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: