Talk

Advanced search

3 week old won't sleep on back

(7 Posts)
Hallomiaddicted Wed 04-Oct-17 19:48:27

3 week old used to sleep on back ok when finally got asleep (sometimes took 2 plus hours) but now since age 2.5 weeks baby constantly squirms and wriggles and wakes up grunts a bit when placed on back. I was worried about reflux but during the day baby will sleep on back eventually, at night not at all, every 30/45 mins I am trying to settle. If put on front or held will sleep more easily. Pls help !!!

riddles26 Wed 04-Oct-17 19:55:27

I had exactly the same problem when my daughter was that age. Have you tried a swaddle? If I were to go back and do things again, I would try harder with the swaddle - wrap her tighter for a start as she always managed to free herself the way I did it and persist for longer.

The sleepyhead also gives an enclosed feeling which makes it easier to put them down but I personally would try swaddling first - a whole lot cheaper for a start!

Hallomiaddicted Wed 04-Oct-17 20:25:41

Thank you I tried swaddling him but he likes his arms up beside head all the time when he sleeps so he doesn't like the swaddle at all and is more calm when out! I'm worried the crying is due to discomfort but cannot tell.

riddles26 Wed 04-Oct-17 20:53:51

Are you talking about my daughter?! That is the exact reason I didn't swaddle her, she loved having her hands by her face so each time I swaddled, she would just fight it until she managed to get them out (and she always succeeded). I often look back and wonder if she would have given up and gone to sleep had I swaddled her tighter with an actual swaddle rather than a large muslin. There is a swaddle called love to swaddle which allows them to keep their hands by their head but still keeps them enclosed so they don't startle awake - could be worth considering?

They sleep better and deeper on their front because they don't startle but as you know, sleeping on front is not recommended due to SIDs.

It is really hard in the first few weeks to tell when it is discomfort as you are both getting to know each other. My daughter preferred the upright position or being on her stomach and always slept better that way but I wasn't happy putting her down on it. I ended up buying a Purflo nest (like a Sleepyhead but not so expensive) and it did help her get used to sleeping on her back. As soon as we took the nest away (she was rolling both ways by then), she rolled straight onto her stomach to sleep and has done so ever since.

Lozmatoz Wed 04-Oct-17 20:55:08

Try a baby osteopath. They may need loosening up. Also helps with wind etc.

crazycatlady5 Thu 05-Oct-17 11:45:52

They’re getting used to their bodies at this age so lots of grunting and things is normal. And although lying on their back is obviously the safest way for them to sleep biologically it’s not very normal for them as they have been curled up for 9 months rather than flat. You can raise the head end of the crib to slightly elevate (I think the safe amount is 5cm) and yes swaddling does help to create the snug womb feeling smile

em001 Thu 05-Oct-17 12:12:14

Have you tried a slightly more upright position? I put a blanket at the head of my son's moses basket (underneath the mattress) as he hated being completely flat. As soon as he was slightly raised he slept on his back fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now