Talk

Advanced search

Screaming

(5 Posts)
abigailgabble Wed 27-Sep-17 15:24:24

For christ's sake 😣

my son is not world's greatest napper to begin with. i have to lie down with him and feed him til he drops off. then if I'm lucky I can extract myself for 10 minutes before he wakes up screaming blue bloody murder, with nothing other than booby being enough to calm him either. why?! he is 5mo and i haven't had any lunch yet due to his fusth panthsing and I'm just feeling exasperated 🤷‍♀️ how can I help him to be more independent??

abigailgabble Wed 27-Sep-17 15:30:29

fed him to calm him down and he's just fallen back to sleep. mother is wobbly with hunger and not amused!!!

FATEdestiny Wed 27-Sep-17 18:49:53

The very first thing id suggest is a dummy. And keep going until it's accepted.

Then, decide how important feeding to sleep and co sleeping is to you. If you like that way of parenting, get your meals when baby is awake. Do your chores then too. When baby sleeps, you either sleep too or just rest with him.

If you would rather not feed to sleep and cosleep, look towards more independant sleep methods. For example feed, wind, into bouncy chair with a dummy and relentlessly bounce until asleep.

Look at awake time because over tiredness can make getting to sleep much harder. I would limit awake time to 90m-2h at this age.

thundernlightning Thu 12-Oct-17 16:10:56

My DS was a terrible napper, too, and you had to perform the magic ritual of the boob exactly right to get him to drop off. I remember standing in the dark loo with the fan on rocking him in my arms, sobbing, because he wouldn't nap.

As my friend said then, sometimes they just won't and there's nothing you can do about it. It's awful, but it's true. My only advice is that airplane thing: "put your own mask on before assisting others". In this case, make sure you're fed and watered and have had a pee, and then worry about the rest. He might scream bloody murder while you're cramming a bite into your mouth, but if you can see him and you know he's not hurt or scared, it's fine.

As for co-napping, agh. It's frustrating to lose all that time to just being a warm body, but I found giving DS a dummy took the pressure off my body, and having a phone loaded with podcasts to listen to and websites to visit helped me cope with the time I had to lie down with him every day. Eventually I started to be able to sneak away for longer and longer stretches.

(Somehow, aparently on his own, my DS has become a champion napper. But sleeping through the night is another thing all together…)

Good luck! I hope you get naps soon!

crazycatlady5 Thu 12-Oct-17 18:32:57

Hi Op, sounds like you have a high needs bubba like me! Mine is now 8 months old and I can leave her much longer. I feed to sleep in the evenings and 5 times out of 10 she rolls around (I have a video monitor), looks around the room and then drops back off. If she doesn’t then I go back in. She’s not 100% there yet but she’s getting there, yours will too! I do remember days of tearing my hair out x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now