Talk

Advanced search

6 month old hates sleep

(9 Posts)
Zoenewell997 Wed 20-Sep-17 16:21:07

Tired mummy alert! 🚨
My 6 month old little boy doesn't nap or sleep very well, he has up to 6 naps a day because he will sleep for 20 minutes a time and still be tired when he wakes up, but won't go back to sleep, (Iv tried everything). At night he will wake up up to 10 times a night for no reason, he doesn't want a bottle he just lies there and chats to himself, until I go back in and put his dummy in, I would leave him but he's in a room with his big sister, I'm literally at my wits end, I don't know what to do, I'm tired all the time because of broken sleep, he's always be awful at napping since he was a newborn, im really hoping he grows out of it! Please someone tell me I'm not the only one, and give me any advice on what to try? I will try anything I haven't already!!
Thank you mummies

crazycatlady5 Wed 20-Sep-17 16:32:47

I would put his cot next to your best with one side off (side carred) if you can. How do you get him to sleep in the day and at night? Does he have a dummy?

crazycatlady5 Wed 20-Sep-17 16:33:04

*bed not best

Zoenewell997 Wed 20-Sep-17 16:51:10

I would but I wouldn't be able to fit it next to my bed, I don't think it's a separation thing as he doesn't wake up crying, yeah he does have a dummy, which im trying to take off him, but it's proving rather difficult! 😞

EightyNine Wed 20-Sep-17 19:00:42

Would buying one of those toys that you attach several dummies to help him to find the dummy again himself?

My eldest had similar nap time sleep at this age and he did grow out of it thankfully and now at 22 months has one two hour (ish) nap a day if that makes you feel any better, tho he didn't settle to that until he was around 18 months. Naps just got slowly longer and more predictable with time.

Zoenewell997 Wed 20-Sep-17 19:20:13

I was thinking of getting one of them, but he's a lazy boy and probably wouldn't look for it, I really want to get rid of the dummy all together but it's hard, my oldest never had a dummy and I really regret giving him one as he's really attached to it now.
I really hope he outgrows it soon! As when he was new born he only ever woke up maximum of 3 times a night and started sleeping through at 2 months, but doesn't like sleep apparently, he's slept for an hour and a half a couple of times, but thats very rare, children hey! 😄

EightyNine Wed 20-Sep-17 20:33:05

Try one!
Don't beat yourself up about him having a dummy, it's really not the end of the world, we can beat ourselves up about the most inconsequential things sometimes, as if you don't have enough real worries! You need sleep! If it works, it works.
A mum who is emotionally healthy and well rested is about the most valuable thing he could have right now!smile

crazycatlady5 Wed 20-Sep-17 22:23:40

Why are you so against the dummy? I gave mine up on my third birthday and my teeth are fine. My baby is a dummy refuser and I wish she wasn't confused

FATEdestiny Thu 21-Sep-17 18:44:02

If you make dummy easy to get hold of (with a sleepytot) then it's usually around 7-8 months that baby's learn to put it in for themself. The alternate to a dummy is a lot mire labour intensive and will involve a lot more crying.

The reason for your night wakes is lack of daytime sleep. 20 minutes naps will involve no resistive deep sleep. That's about the time it takes to reach the deep sleep phase, so most of baby's daytime sleep will be light sleep. 45 minute naps are much more usual - this is one complete sleep cycle of light sleep into deep sleep baby into light sleep and wake up.

So your focus could do with being in extending daytime naps. Could you stay with baby throughout the nap? The idea being that you keep physical touch going throughout and reinsert dummy to help baby get into that deep sleep phase.

Another alternate for extending naps is having the nap in somethibg that moves. I love the bouncy chair for this, but pram or pushchair could work too. Then keep the movement going in a rhythmic fashion throughout the sleep without stopping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now