Talk

Advanced search

Is it 'normal' for a 9 month old to still wake frequently through the night?

(61 Posts)
SleepZombie Fri 25-Aug-17 02:32:16

I think all babies are different and babies sleep longer when they are ready. My husband says all his friends' babies sleep/slept through at 9 months and our baby is not normal.
I'd love to hear from any other 9 month+ frequent wakers out there that we're not alone?!

icklekid Fri 25-Aug-17 02:35:33

My 13 month old wakes at least 1 a night. At 9 months ws at least twice

YokoReturns Fri 25-Aug-17 02:38:35

DS1 is nearly 5 YEARS and doesn't yet sleep through. DS2 is 15 months and wakes a couple of times for milk. It's totally normal.

CluelessMummy Fri 25-Aug-17 03:37:32

DD is 10 months now. Slept a full night last night ... exactly the seventh time that's ever happened. She's usually up once if not twice a night.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 25-Aug-17 03:41:42

My husband says all his friends' babies sleep/slept through at 9 months and our baby is not normal. Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Mine didn't until she was two and my bosses doesn't at 9. 9 YEARS that is.

garud Fri 25-Aug-17 03:52:02

At nine months we were trying sleep training because dd was waking up every 40 mins. Through the night. Every. 40. Minutes.

60percentofthetime Fri 25-Aug-17 03:58:30

Im doing a night feed with DS2 right now, and he's 13 months. If he's anything like his brother I've got another year of this.
Out of interest, can you record the look on his face when you show him this thread? 😜 I could do with a good laugh.

Copperbeech33 Fri 25-Aug-17 04:52:14

completely normal. Mine starting sleeping through about their second birthday

WildCherryBlossom Fri 25-Aug-17 04:53:46

Mine all had a night feed until around their first birthdays. Baby 2 slept through once night feed was dropped, but would be awake for the day between 5am & 6am (only just starting to sleep beyond 6am aged 8). Baby 1 probably didn't sleep through until about 2 1/2. Baby 3 was the best newborn sleeper but her teething phase was beyond awful.

SleepZombie Fri 25-Aug-17 04:57:46

garud that's more like our night times. Every 30-45 minutes until midnight, then anything between 45-1.5 hours then on. She used to occasionally sleep 7-12 before waking every two hours. That was when she was about 3-4 months but it's been more like this pattern for a while. Most of the time I refuse to look at the time and don't pick my phone up.

Pennywhistle Fri 25-Aug-17 05:07:36

Our twins didn't regularly sleep through until they were 3 yo.

I know very few people whose babies slept through consistently at 9 months.

MiniMaxi Fri 25-Aug-17 06:01:54

Totally normal, especially for breastfed babies apparently. Our DS (12mo) is bottle fed and wakes at least once for a pat or some milk - sometimes multiple times.

My DH gets very frustrated about this as a couple of our friends' babies are great sleepers. hmm

ImogenTubbs Fri 25-Aug-17 06:03:51

We only just nailed sleeping at 3.5yrs. DD still wakes every now and then.

ApplesTheHare Fri 25-Aug-17 06:10:07

Completely normal, 9 months is still tiny. Be kind to yourselvesflowers

Earthmoon Fri 25-Aug-17 06:32:22

Ds1 slept through the night at 6months and then came my last dc. At 12months last night woke up at least five times. But he is teething right now. Normaly on average its three times a night. From that I learnt its which baby you are given not necessarily your parenting skills. Is sleep pattern something that is part of everyones personality? Because everyone without a doubt would agree that every child is born with their own personality.

FinallyDecidedOnUserName Fri 25-Aug-17 06:32:41

I'm 50 & still wake up during the night 😘

FATEdestiny Fri 25-Aug-17 08:17:52

Waking in the night at 9 months old is not unusual.

Waking every 30-90 mins, all night, every night, for many months on end - this is not normal or something to be expected. It will happen through discrete phases (illness, teething etc) but need not be all of the time, long term, every night, all night long.

I cannot think of this as healthy sleep for a 9 month old. I would be (gently) finding ways to help baby sleep longer. If baby doesn't have established independant sleep aids, this may involve planned cosleeping. If planned cosleeping isn't working, it would involve establishing independant sleep aids. Sleep is very important for child development.

Foxley11 Fri 25-Aug-17 08:22:02

Totally normal, and my boy (now 14 months and a pretty good sleeper) went through a sleep regression between 8-11 months. He rarely needed help re-settling though; he just took a while to re-settle himself. I sleep in a separate bed next to his (unless he crawls over to mine!)

Frazzled2207 Fri 25-Aug-17 08:26:27

Not abnormal at all. Both of mine sorted themselves out around their 2nd birthday.

NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Fri 25-Aug-17 08:37:30

I read that title and laughed and laughed. Both my two were good sleepers but I know that isn't normal and I've been very lucky. Tbh as good as my DD was, it's not like she slept through every single night and I doubt that all your DHs babies sleep through every single night.

Anatidae Fri 25-Aug-17 08:38:33

Yes it's normal. Sleeping through is normal, waking lots is normal. Huge range at that age.

SlayeroftheVampyres Fri 25-Aug-17 08:50:20

You're correct, babies do vary a lot. Mine was just turning 3 when he started consistently sleeping through. Even now at nearly 5 we often wake up with him having climbed into our bed at some point in the night!

I hope that your baby gives you longer and longer periods of not waking. I found that there was a bigger improvement after one.

user1499786242 Fri 25-Aug-17 09:08:59

My son is 2 tomorrow and still wakes up every two hours....

So yeah... it's normal

user1499786242 Fri 25-Aug-17 09:11:22

Also his friends are liars..

More likely they sleep through the baby waking mwahahahahah

ImMrsBrightside Fri 25-Aug-17 09:15:12

My girl just turned nine months and I consider two night wakings a good night!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now