Talk

Advanced search

Newborn Body Clock

(4 Posts)
AimeeTreece89 Wed 12-Jul-17 20:25:23

Help!!! I have a 3 and half week old baby boy who seems to have his body clock completely the wrong way round! He was born at 7:22am so he wasn't even born at night! He sleeps soundly during the day, and then is wide awake come 6pm! He feeds and goes straight back down during the day, but at night he fusses after every feed! He is bottle fed and has 3oz every 2-3 hours! I am exhausted as I also have a 3 year old little girl, so sleeping in the day is not a possibility! I have tried all the tricks to try and wake him during the day such as plenty of light, and fresh air, noisy rooms, and waking him during naps, he even slept during his bath the other day! I am totally exhausted and need some help and advice please! Thanks xxxx

FATEdestiny Wed 12-Jul-17 21:29:37

How long is baby awake for at night?

Are you winding adequately?
Have you tried swaddling baby?
Have you tried a dummy?

beccii161016 Wed 12-Jul-17 23:04:01

It's very normal for the first month and a half at least for them to not be able to distinguish night and day.

He gets plenty of light in the day, does he sleep in pitch black? That can help as well as the good old soothing techniques of dummy and white noise and maybe swaddling if your little one likes it.

I can't even imagine how exhausted you must be but 3oz every 3 hours for a newborn is totally normal. If he's not ready to sleep any longer then, no matter what you do, unfortunately he's not going to sleep any longer. Not that, that helps with your fatigue but it's an unfortunate truth sad good luck! biscuit

AimeeTreece89 Thu 13-Jul-17 03:52:42

Thanks for your comments!

Yeah I've tried everything suggested above! Yeah he is in the dark at nighttime, trying to help distinguish between night and day! He has a dummy and white noise in the night, also hoping this will let him know it's something different to day time! He doesn't even like a blanket on so swaddling isn't an option really!

Glad it's normal at his age not to be able to distinguish day and night, and hopefully he'll sort it soon!

In the meantime, pass me the matchsticks 😝 Xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now