Talk

Advanced search

Will he ever stop crying at bedtime?

(6 Posts)
pikapoo Tue 11-Jul-17 00:13:55

Just that really. DS is 14 months old and a good sleeper on paper (sleeping through the night), although we suspect he doesn't sleep enough total hours during the day (usually 10-12 hours total). I've stopped trying to guess why he usually cries at bedtime (since as early on in his life as I can remember, he does it maybe 90% of the time), even after having a nice happy play and bath time... The crying normally starts post bath when we try to get his nappy and pyjamas on. Doesn't matter if bedtime is early or late. We've tried cuddling to sleep, pick up and put down. I get so demoralised especially when most of the other babies I know don't seem to have this problem and just go to bed happy and content.

TL;DR, I just want someone to tell me that he'll eventually stop crying at bedtime. Feel so shitty that it's been months and we will can't get a handle on this sad

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 11-Jul-17 00:21:46

Some babies do just cry,through over tiredness. Ds cried no matter what anyone did before going to sleep. I can't ever once remember him just nodding off even when being held.

pikapoo Tue 11-Jul-17 00:23:36

@DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen. When did he stop? Or rather, has he stopped?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 11-Jul-17 00:25:44

He's 16 now so definitely stopped grin

I can't remember tbh ,it didn't used to bother me as he was fed,safe and loved, there was nothing wrong apart from moaning it was bedtime.

FATEdestiny Tue 11-Jul-17 09:06:04

Could you try completely shaking up bedtime routine, see what happens.

For example do a bath after breakfast in the morning, not at night. Get into night clothes after dinner, with a good hour or two playtime before bed but whilst weaning PJs.

Make the 'bedtime routine' mega short, to lessen any build-up. So have baby already in PJs, not needing a bath. If no milk at bedtime, brush teeth early maybe downstairs in the kitchen sink and not linked to bedtime in any way.

Then play, watch tv or whatever until bedtime. Stay downstairs, read a book together on the sofa. Then make actual bedtime literally just zipping into sleeping bag, kiss, into cot, leave.

pikapoo Tue 11-Jul-17 15:05:16

Thanks @FATEdestiny, I think we will try that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now