Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dropping second nap?

(8 Posts)
sofreakingtired Thu 06-Jul-17 15:48:47

Hi everyone. My DD (11mo) is struggling to fit her 2nd nap in at the moment but I think it's probably too early to go to 1 nap - can anyone advise? This is her current (rough) schedule:

7am wake up
8am breakfast
10-10:30 start nap
11:30-11:45 wake up (sometimes ha e to wake her)
12:30 lunch
I try to get her to nap approx 2:30-3:30 for up to an hour, but some days she just won't have it.
16:00 tea
18:00 supper
19:00 bed (usually asleep in 5-10 mins, whether she's had second nap or not)

There is no milk as she decided to quit it a couple of months ago, so all solid food now. Any ideas anyone? Should I cut her morning nap down or try to keep her up later and let her go to one nap?

dementedpixie Thu 06-Jul-17 15:54:28

Mine were both 11 months when they dropped to 1 nap. I'd make it a bit later and eventually aim for after lunch

InDubiousBattle Thu 06-Jul-17 15:58:30

Dd dropped to one nap at just turned 1, but it was after lunch. Ds was around the same age (maybe a bit older)and I sort of engineered it as he was waking very early.

FizzyFeet Thu 06-Jul-17 16:02:25

Same thing here - dropped to 1 nap around 12 months. We did it by keeping her going through the morning - fun activities, snack for an energy boost - and early lunchtime nap (e.g. 11.45 or 12.00). Gradually increase the morning awake time. You might need an earlier bedtime for a while to compensate. She's now 18 months and naps at about 1pm for around an hour.

Heirhelp Thu 06-Jul-17 16:06:26

I experienced similar with a very similar schedule. Since starting nursery DD has started having her first nap at 9.15 and this allows for two naps. Before she started nursery I started to limit the time for each nap.

Apparently the average time to go to one nap is 15 to 18 months.

sofreakingtired Thu 06-Jul-17 16:21:06

I thought it was early to be dropping to one! I'll try cutting her morning nap to 30 mins for a week or so and see how she goes, if no joy will push the morning nap later and see if she's ready for just one. Thanks!

FATEdestiny Thu 06-Jul-17 17:27:28

Nothing you've said suggests she doesn't need two naps, although she would probably cope on 1 nap. I take the view that more sleep is better, so 2 naps better than 1.

The scheduling rules I would apply would be:

- awake from first nap by 11am

- asleep for second nap by 2pm

I would try to put baby down for the first nap earlier, 9.30am. But whatever time, wake at 11am sharp, if not already awake.

sofreakingtired Thu 06-Jul-17 18:00:16

I'll try that thanks Fate - if I put her down much earlier she just chatters in her cot and that somehow leads to no nap at all. Seems if she's in too long when not ready sleep goes out of the window.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now