Talk

Advanced search

Moving baby to own room?

(31 Posts)
whyIsARavenLikeAWritingDesk Sat 01-Jul-17 09:51:43

My daughter is 6.5 months and I'm debating with DP whether to put her in her own room!
His argument against is that we have friends coming to visit in august/sept so moving her to then move her back will only disrupt her,

I feel that she should be going in her own room and that moving her back for a few nights in august/sept won't be too bad! She'll be nearly 8 months old by then and I did say I would put her in her own room by 6 months.

It is a bit of a faff to move the cot out of our room and into the spare room but just once won't be too bad will it?

OuchBollocks Sat 01-Jul-17 09:53:15

Why do you want to move her? Personally I agree with your husband, all this chopping and changing rooms will unsettle her and you won't want that when you have guests. I would wait, there's no rush.

AgathaCrispie Sat 01-Jul-17 09:58:52

As above. Why do you feel she 'should' be going in her own room?

whyIsARavenLikeAWritingDesk Sat 01-Jul-17 10:02:37

I feel we are disrupting her sleep, DP woke her this morning when getting up for work and he is also a fairly heavy snorer and a moves around in his sleep! Plus I have people telling me she shouldn't be in with us now (older generation family)
Don't get me wrong I'd feel very odd and probably hate it when she goes into her own room, I love turning over and seeing her fast asleep

TheSleeperandTheSpindle Sat 01-Jul-17 10:20:09

Does she sleep through the night? That's the marker for my DS to eventually move into his own room.

Much easier to place a hand on a stirring baby without even opening your eyes than it is to get up and walk into another room. Then again perhaps I'm just lazy grin

TittyGolightly Sat 01-Jul-17 10:22:59

Plus I have people telling me she shouldn't be in with us now (older generation family)

You don't have to listen to them. It's okay to let go on Victorian sensibilities now!

FATEdestiny Sat 01-Jul-17 13:07:29

Does she sleep through? Or do you think she will as soon as in own room?

I can't understand the rationale of people who think that plodding back and forth across the landing to another room is a good idea.

It usually ends up with: 'I'm so knackered by 2am then I just bring baby into our bed' and ultimate leads to the threads saying How Can I Get My Toddler to Sleep All Night in the Cot?

Compared to an extra few months until baby is consistantly sleeping through, sleeping through when in own room, no need to bring baby into your bed because your knackered, much less of a sleep is due long term...

kiddietoysnetwork Sat 01-Jul-17 13:36:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

koalab Sat 01-Jul-17 13:42:14

I'm totally going to save FATEs wise words there and show them to my family who keep asking when my almost 7month DD will be moving to her own room. She still wakes 2 or 3 times but I can manage it fine with the co-sleeper. If I had to physically get out of bed I'd be absolutely shattered!!

user1498166085 Sat 01-Jul-17 13:47:44

I think you should go ahead and put her in her own room. It'll be no bother on her to pop back to a travel cot in your room for a few nights in Aug/Sept.

We moved DD at 6 months, and it has always been absolutely fine when she needs to stay in our room because of guests. She doesn't really care.

whyIsARavenLikeAWritingDesk Sat 01-Jul-17 14:03:02

FATE she's sleeping through yes but sort of whinges in her sleep when she rolls onto her front so I wake and turn her back over! I hadn't actually thought about this so thank you, she is getting better the past few nights it's only been the once so I will definitely wait until she's not doing this which I guess will probably be after the guests come and visit anyway! Thanks again

FATEdestiny Sat 01-Jul-17 14:07:24

We had about a 3 month transition period. From first having occassional nights where I wasn't required until the time when I was consistantly never needed at all duringvtge night, took about 3 months.

Personally I wouldn't move to own room until sleeping through is consistent and embedded behaviour.

usersos Sat 01-Jul-17 14:11:57

I think you deserve a medal for baby still being in your room at 6.5 months !
I've got to disagree here I'm afraid and say that for me personally all our sleeps improved when we moved baby out of our room at 4 months!
Sadly if they sleep through in your room doesn't mean they sleep through in their room so I'd do it sooner rather than later....!

FATEdestiny Sat 01-Jul-17 14:15:12

If your baby was sleeping through in own room then of course it was better for baby to be in their nursery. I was referring to babies who weren't.

EmmaJR1 Sat 01-Jul-17 14:18:53

My son went in his own room at 5 weeks old...😳
He was constantly being woken by my husband or me moving about and I was up every hour with him. He's been in his own room for 2 weeks now and goes 3-4 hours before waking for food.
Best thing I ever did!
X

usersos Sat 01-Jul-17 14:25:51

So was I fate. If a baby sleeps through in one room it doesn't automatically mean they sleep through in another

Sleepthief84 Sat 01-Jul-17 14:33:02

We didn't move my daughter until she was 9 months and it wasn't safe to have her in the bassinet bit of the travel cot anymore (she could get out). She was in here for eight weeks after she outgrew her crib. I loved having her in with us, and didn't see the point in moving her when I could out my hand in the cot to 'sssshhhh' her back to sleep - saved me getting out of bed! 😂Once she was sleeping through fairly consistently and didn't have milk during the night I was happy to move her. Move her when you want to, not when people tell you that you should. And one or two nights back in your room should be ok - no different to taking her away for a weekend.

FATEdestiny Sat 01-Jul-17 14:37:00

Urm.... yes. That's not what I meant usersos confused i think we may be talking at very crossed wires.

I was referring to children who are not sleeping through in their own room.

Their own room

Not sleeping through

If they are sleeping through in their own room, regardless pf the fact that they slept through or not in the parental room, it is going to be better for said baby to be in own room. Sleeping through. In own room.

If baby is not sleeping through in own room - this is different

Sleeping through in own room = great ✔
Not sleeping through in own room = not great ❌

usersos Sat 01-Jul-17 16:02:28

Agreed. Not sleeping through wherever they are is shit!

Cailleach666 Sat 01-Jul-17 17:56:05

Best thing I ever did!

Emma - really?

EmmaJR1 Sat 01-Jul-17 18:00:07

@Cailleach666
I mean in regards to sleep issues and the baby obviously

DianneDionne Sat 01-Jul-17 18:00:50

We moved both of ours into their own rooms when it because obvious that we were keeping one another awake. DS1 was 7 months and DS2 was 6 months, I should have done it sooner because as soon as they had moved they slept better but I didn't because I know that the guidelines are there for a reason.

I absolutely wouldn't move them into another room, then move back again. Honestly, once your baby is back you'll never have your room to yourself again. Wait until your friend's have been and then make a start with the move then.

Cailleach666 Sat 01-Jul-17 18:05:20

OP how do you feel?

Because there are actually no right answers here, and is someone claims there is - they are wrong.

Babies thrive is all loving situations.

Having babies sleeping in their own room at such a young age is- in the great scheme of things quite novel.

Globally most young children sleep with parents, and here in the UK it is only in the past 150 years that babies and toddlers sleep apart from their parents.

Some babies like the peace of their own room and sleep better, some babies like to sleep in the family room or bed until they are 5 years old.

My view is that if everyone is getting enough sleep and the parents are happy then it is perfect.

Bugger everyone else.

JuneJuly Sat 01-Jul-17 21:57:25

I moved dd1 to her own room when I thought I was supposed to at about 6 months - she has never been a great sleeper and still wants to have some light on her room all night.

Dd2 stayed in our room with us until she was 3, moving from moses basket to co-sleeper cot to full size cot & then to a single bed, all right next to/attached to our bed! So easy to re-settle. Went with instincts. She was excited about going into her own room when it happened and settled in there immediately and, in contrast to dd1 is a fab sleeper now, aged 8. Appreciate this wouldn't be for everybody though.

BertieBotts Sat 01-Jul-17 21:58:46

Six months isn't a magical time after which it becomes too late to move them smile It makes sense to do it when it's most convenient which sounds like it might be after the visitors have been.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: