Talk

Advanced search

How to get toddler to stay in bed

(4 Posts)
user1473602935 Thu 29-Jun-17 06:29:58

We've just taken the sides off the cot for our 2.5 year old, as she was climbing out

It's tricky to get her to stay there to go to sleep at bedtime (I was expecting this), but the problem is she is then coming to our bed in the night. We try to put her back but she screams the house down so we give in, and take her into our bed

It's only been 2 nights so far but I'm not sure what approach we should be taking

Whilst I don't mind doing this once in a while, I don't want it to become a nightly habit. We're all getting broken nights sleep

Plus I'm pregnant so will soon be busy doing other things at night!

Can anyone recommend a solution?

FATEdestiny Thu 29-Jun-17 09:44:07

I would put the cot sides on.

All of mine have been past their 3rd birthday before ready to move to a cot. And they moved when I felt they were ready, not when the issue was forced.

The cot climbing is a behaviour issue, so is the refusing to stay in bed. It takes firm boundaries, strict expectations and complete consistancy to teach this.

It's also not just a bedroom behaviour issue. If you have a toddler who generally can get away with behaviour you don't want by relentless crying/whinging/shouting, then he's likely to transfer this to bedtime too.

Firm boundaries, strict expectations and complete consistancy is necessary in most aspects of a toddlers life through this stage.

lightcola Thu 29-Jun-17 09:48:20

We put a baby gate on the door. It took a few nights of us getting up at night to put him back but he soon learnt it wasn't worth it. I would persevere now before baby comes.

BlahBlahBlahEtc Thu 29-Jun-17 09:52:10

I bought mine a gro clock at 2.5 and told her she's not allowed out of bed until the sun comes up. It worked, she's only got out of bed once the first night, so I put her back to bed straight away with no fuss and she's not done it since. (4 months now) Failing that she has a baby gate on her door though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now