Talk

Advanced search

Aaagh! Change in circumstances and a routine I want to snap out of

(6 Posts)
KTD27 Fri 23-Jun-17 08:39:01

Help!
We have had to move out of our house for the next month as we are having major renovations and honestly my 15mo and building works is his destruction dream come true so it's safer being far, far away.
So, he's in a different environment and a different cot. At the moment we are at a friends, next week it's centre parcs then I'm taking him to stay at the grandparents for a fortnight so cot number 3.
We have canines coming in (damn you teeth!) and he's coping VERY well but they're clearly bothering him.
It's HOT LIKE THE SUN or at least, has been! So the last week he's slept in a nappy and that's it - no bag = very agile toddler😀
AND he's dropping to one nap naturally
All at the same time.
This has resulted in... 5 o'clock wake ups!!
He is such a good sleeper and honestly has done brilliantly with all the changes the poor love. I've tried to keep his routine as consistent as I can but his early wake ups have meant dropping to two naps as he just can't get to midday and this is where the vicious cycle begins!
Normally he'd do 12-2:30 bap and bedtime for 6:30/7 but this week he's taking longer and longer to go down as he's now sleeping 9-9:45 and 1:15-2:30.
How do I get back to my one long nap, my 7-6:30 nighttime all while juggling not being at home?!

FATEdestiny Fri 23-Jun-17 14:11:48

I wouldn't. With all the upheaval, his sleep is being affected and so he probably needs more sleep. That is probably exactly why 2 naps per day suits him better.

My youngest was having 2 naos per day until 20 months old. She started having the occassional day of 1 nap from 20 months old, with occassional days getting more frequent until the transition happened and we moved to all 1 nap days by 22 months.

So at 15 months, and given the teething, the summer heat, the forthcoming jokiday and the sofa-surfing - if just let him have his 2 naps every day. At least you know you are helping him have plenty of sleep that way. Then see how his routine settled once back home with consistancy.

FATEdestiny Fri 23-Jun-17 14:14:40

I meant to add about your early mornings.

I'd try pushing the afternoon nap a bit later (easily done when you have a morning nap too), to allow for a later bedtime.

I would aim for 9.30am nap and 2pm nap. Hope that the afternoon nap lasts until 3.30-4pm ish and then push bedtime back to 8pm.

KTD27 Fri 23-Jun-17 17:20:58

Unfortunately I can't push the afternoon nap any later. He has heart medicine at 2:30 and if I give it while he's asleep it wakes him (have tried and tried) so it sort of has to be a wake up then no matter what sort of nap it is.
I don't mind going back to two naps - he has only just started the one and it came very naturally with him just refusing his usual morning nap consistently so we dropped it.
It's the early mornings I want to break before they become a habit.
I'll try pushing bedtime back a wee bit tonight and see whether that helps

Ecureuil Fri 23-Jun-17 17:24:54

Wow FATE, both mine dropped their nap completely at 20 months!
I'd probably ride the storm at the moment OP and deal with it when you're back home and into your normal routine.

KTD27 Fri 23-Jun-17 17:56:26

I think that's probably all I can do!
I'll cross my fingers and hope it isn't habit forming and count down the days til we are back. God bless the routine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now