Talk

Advanced search

6 week old let him sleep or wake to feed at 10pm?

(13 Posts)
whywhywhat Mon 12-Jun-17 14:57:15

I am torn between waking my DD up for a 10pm feed, dreamfeeding at 10pm or just letting him sleep and wake whenever he wants to. I have a 6 week old baby boy and three times last week he slept 6 hours from his 6:30/7:00pm bedtime and of course I was thrilled however I would like him to be able to do these 6 hours from about 10pm meaning just one waking in the early morning. I tried one dreamfeed with expressed breast milk at 10:30 and he slept 4.5 hours then I tried waking him up to breastfeed and he only slept 3.5 hours.......should I keep trying the dreamfeed for a few nights and see if he eventually extends his sleep or should I stop trying to feed him at 10pm and just leave him be......

FuzzyOwl Mon 12-Jun-17 14:58:06

At six weeks I would just let him sleep and feed on demand rather than waking.

furryelephant Mon 12-Jun-17 15:26:19

He's still so young, id definitely let him sleep and eat when he wants to! It will likely all change by next week anyway smile

FATEdestiny Mon 12-Jun-17 16:10:35

If you are exclusively breastfeeding, dreamfeed are much harder to establish since it's difficult to keep a breastfeeding baby awake, especially in the newborn (under 3 months) phase.

No reason not to try, if you want to. It's not like dreamfeed need to be set in stone. You can try for a week or so, see how it goes and go back to how you were if it doesn't help and maybe try again in a few months time.

If you give it a go, you need to work on ways to fully wake baby up and kept baby awake for as much of the feed as possible - so strip down to nappy, light on, tickle feet to keep baby dozing, change nappy part way through if falling asleep.

It may well be more hassle than its worth. No reason not to try. The best way to avoid night wakes is lots of daytime feeds to calorie load in the day and limited awake time in the daytime to avoid an over tired night.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Mon 12-Jun-17 16:14:42

2 of my ds slept through from 5 weeks. Wouldn't have occurred to me to wake them!!
Crazy imo!!

NerrSnerr Mon 12-Jun-17 16:19:28

I'd feed on demand and give him a feed when he wakes.

StandardLampski Mon 12-Jun-17 16:30:25

Firstly, I have a 6 week old and would love this!
But also, how do you do that? I end up waking mine (and therfore feeding) when I go to bed at 10 ish, as I have to pick him up and bring upstairs... Do you have your DD asleep where they will stay the night already?

StandardLampski Mon 12-Jun-17 16:31:42

DS, sorry!

Hastalapasta Mon 12-Jun-17 16:34:40

Let him sleep.

He will wake when hungry/teething/bored....

Congratulations!

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Mon 12-Jun-17 16:35:41

At 6w I would still feed on demand at night, unless they are already showing signs of settling into a routine.

Dreamfeeding is brilliant IMO and IME, but I'd only introduce it in a month or so, if night's aren't quite going your way yet.

NerrSnerr Mon 12-Jun-17 16:44:20

Standard my youngest is 9 weeks and he is quite a good sleeper so isn't disturbed too much when I take him up at bedtime but if he wakes properly I give him a quick feed and he goes straight down.

whywhywhat Thu 15-Jun-17 15:06:23

So I've been trying the dream feed for three nights now. First night he slept till 3am, second night till 2:40 and last night woke up at 2:10 then settled back after 30mins until 3:45....he then wakes at about 6am and won't settle. I'm trying to get him to start the day at 7am. Do I let him fuss for an hour or do I feed humans hope he falls back to sleep?

I'll keep with the dreamfeed for another few days as he takes between 4 and 6oz so I know he's eating enough at that time to take him through at least 4 hours.

Clumsymumsy22 Thu 15-Jun-17 21:21:39

Mine does the same and she's only just started sleeping through now she's 14 weeks. We would put her to bed at 7/730 in the evening and have a good 6/7 hour sleep, but of course we weren't in bed for the first few hours so still felt the same to me. I tried feeding her at 10 thinking she would sleep 6 hours from then and I would feel well rested. But she still woke up at 1, 4 and 7 so was a completely pointless exercise and haven't done it since

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now