Talk

Advanced search

Why does my baby only nap for exactly 30 mins?

(8 Posts)
mumofzach Wed 07-Jun-17 10:13:52

Hello,

I'm hoping someone with a bit more experience and knowledge can help me understand.

My baby boy (5 months), sleeps ok on a nighttime generally. He seems to be able to self settle if he stirs for the most part and wakes for a feed at around 4am.

What I don't understand is why he will only sleep for 30 mins for his naps? I can set my watch by him.

I don't think it's a major problem as he does seem to get most of his sleep on a nighttime but I just find it weird.

I'm just curious and wonder whether this is ok? I figure I can't force him to sleep and don't want to push him too far.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Wed 07-Jun-17 10:29:32

It's to do with sleep cycle duration. If you want to teach him to link his cycles for naps you need to work out how to resettle him straight into the next cycle. For my DD things that helped were: bouncing the bouncy chair, driving, white noise and moving the buggy, all from 25 to 35 mins into nap. It takes effort to teach this to babies, if baby takes a dummy that can also help.

AgathaCrispie Wed 07-Jun-17 15:04:37

Mine did this till just past 6 months - then they started to haphazardly extend. She was also weirdly precise and to-the-minute! It's normal and, provided they're having enough naps and not awake too long in between, it's absolutely fine. He'll grow out of it when he's ready.

Babydreaming Thu 08-Jun-17 18:28:01

My baby just turned 6 months and has been doing exact same thing since 3 months old!! It's exhausting and frustrating but very normal. I guess we just have to be glad they sleep okay at night? How many naps do you fit into the day?

mumofzach Thu 08-Jun-17 18:51:19

Hi Babydreaming

I only manage to get him to have 4 x 30 min naps a day and that's on a good day. It takes me at least 20 mins to settle him.

Taking him out in the car/ pram used to work at extending naps but doesn't anymore sadly.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a micro napper!

beccii161016 Fri 09-Jun-17 18:42:27

My DS was exactly like this! Right up until 7 months! Now, he still will only have 2 45-1 hour naps in the day (which is supposedly not enough). He sleeps through the night though so he's obviously having sufficient sleep!

It's just how some little ones are! It's not until just over 6 months that they're expected to have 2 longer naps rather than catnaps anyway and if he's sleeping through the night, he's having ample sleep in the day.

The only thing I can suggest that may help is stretching his awake periods!

Babydreaming Sat 10-Jun-17 07:32:58

Hope your little one has started doing a bit longer...I'm still waiting!!

We manage 5 x 30 min naps but it's a struggle. He tends to stir from 5.30 in the morning at the moment so I find that if he only has 4 x 30 mins he is exhausted by the end of the day. I want to reduce it to 4 though and will do if he sleeps in a bit longer! It also takes me 20 mins but luckily he's my only child so I have the time.

I find the most annoying thing is that I can't go out for more than 1hour at a time as I know he'll need a nap and it'll take me a while to settle him!

Hopefully both our babies grow out of it soon

Increasinglymiddleaged Sat 10-Jun-17 07:38:39

Isn't this normal at that age? They nap before a feed don't they prior to weaning? The 2 hour lunch nap comes in a bit later (and before 12m ish will often be 2 shorter naps one in the morning and one in the afternoon, DD was still doing this when she started nursery).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now