Talk

Advanced search

2.5 yr old waking a lot at night during my pregnancy

(6 Posts)
Chloris33 Tue 06-Jun-17 14:49:50

I really need some tips or strategies as I'm so tired. I'm 30 weeks pregnant. For the last 3 weeks my 2.5 yr old has been waking 2 or 3 times a night & crying for me. If my husband goes in the crying escalates and he won't soothe. I'm
also sitting with him at bedtime until he falls asleep as he's been getting really upset if I leave, though he always used to fall asleep on his own. Some nights I've been sleeping on a sofa bed in his room but it's a very hard one and super uncomfortable at this stage in pregnancy. He used to sleep through. I think maybe the pregnancy is making him more needy - trying to talk to him lots to reassure him. Also my Dad just recently passed away, so we've all been through a lot as a family. I haven't tried sleep training this yet as he seems quite insecure at the moment, but maybe that's what it's going to take? I'm struggling with the tiredness because after my Dad's illness & death & with the pregnancy at the same time I'm just exhausted.

FATEdestiny Tue 06-Jun-17 16:46:49

Im sorry about your Dad.

If this is a recent, sudden change then I'd suggest it's probably illness or pain. Cutting molars, ear ache, sore throat, dodgy tummy, start of a cold - that kind of thing.

Does your toddler seem off-colour?

Feeling insecure could do it too, given the big changes he is facing and the emotional turmoil in the family.

Chloris33 Tue 06-Jun-17 19:37:41

It's been going on for 3 weeks, he's not teething - has all his molars already. Yes, I think he's been feeling insecure. Just wondering about a way forward.

mummy2pickle Sat 10-Jun-17 21:22:36

I am having this with my 3.2 year old. She has always been a bit of a disturbed sleeper but thought we'd cracked it at around 2 yr old. By the last 5-6 weeks she's been waking through the night calling out for me making up silly excuses why she needs me and then waking up between 5-5:30 to start the day. I am 36 weeks pregnant and am also wondering if she's s bit insecure around a new arrival appearing soon. I am shattered my husband works shifts so a lot of the time I'm left to deal with her through the night and get up early and then deal with her all day!! Health visitors have said it may be sleep apnea (as she had other symptoms) but I can't help but think it's the baby. Not sure how it's going to be once baby is here 😩

NewMumSept2014 Tue 13-Jun-17 14:12:01

I'm sure this really doesn't help but my DD did the same just before DS was born. Before that she had been a brilliant sleeper- had slept through from about 5mo. Everyone told me it was normal, a stress thing- a reaction to the pregnancy and to do whatever she wanted us to do to reassure her. He's now 3.5 months old and she's still doing the same thing! DH has to lie on the floor beside her while she goes to sleep and she always wakes in the middle of the night and he has to sleep in her room until morning. We have a mattress on the floor beside her bed. It's far from ideal but at least everyone's getting a bit of sleep. Will be watching with interest!

Nooneno1 Wed 14-Jun-17 21:54:14

Im in the same situation 24 weeks with a 2yo who has started waking and refusing to go to bed. A few women at work have told me their kids did the same when they were pregnant. We could all do without this as its bloody exhausting! Ive resorted to letting her in my bed on a few occasions 🙈

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now