Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal for babies to sweat this much?!

(7 Posts)
Babydreaming Fri 02-Jun-17 20:54:18

I have a nearly 6 month old. I've always noticed that he always feels hot and sweaty but in the recent heat it's got worse. I literally feel sweat pouring off him as I'm feeding him and when I put him to bed. He is just in a nappy and vest most of the day and then to sleep tonight I put him in a sleep suit and a 0.5tog gro bag. I could feel him sweating when I put him down to sleep and I just checked on him and he's still dripping. He sometimes leaves sweat patches on my pillows when I feed him in bed! It's about 20 degrees at the mo as I have the windows open. I check his temperature and he never seems to have one, just really sweaty. Anyone else have a sweaty baby? Is it something to worry about?

Fettuccinecarbonara Fri 02-Jun-17 20:56:40

I know a few sweaty babies! But it can be a sign of a vitamin deficiency, so always best to get it checked out

teaandbiscuitsforme Fri 02-Jun-17 21:37:20

I have a sweaty baby! DS is 5 months and I've been really confused by him overnight - feels cold but damp and a sweaty head! I saw my HV yesterday so mentioned it and she said he might just be a sweaty baby. She did remind me that it's always better for babies to be colder rather than hotter so maybe a sleepsuit is too much for yours? I know he's in a very light sleeping bag though. DS is in a short sleeve vest and 1 tog tonight, think it's around 20 here as well. My DD always preferred to be cool and she was never sweaty! grin

madamginger Fri 02-Jun-17 21:41:16

My Ds1 is the sweatiest child I've ever known, he was always wet when he was a baby and the sheets would be soaked in the morning, he's now 8 and he's just as bad, we get through loads of pillows as I have to throw them away they get so disgusting.

countycouncil Fri 02-Jun-17 21:51:25

When my ds was a baby (so from newborn to around 6 or 7 months) he used to sweat so profusely from his head that I would move him around his cot or my bed (wherever he was asleep) throughout the night to addy patch. He was soaking the sheets. I told the GP in passing and she was immediately concerned. Said it can be indicative of heart problems. I took him for a chest X-ray and ecg very soon after. He was totally fine and it stopped of its own accord. The doctor in the hospital said the other explanation would be under developed sweat glands. He's nearly 3 now and 100% fine. Still gets red faced and sweaty from even a small bit of running around. Absolutely not trying to alarm you at all but worth a doctor visit I reckon.

FATEdestiny Fri 02-Jun-17 22:02:22

I have children who prefer to be cooler than most would, but I have to say they don't sweat this much.

If the child is sweating, I'd further reduce their temperature. So a vest instead of sleep suit.

Scrumptiouscrumpets Fri 02-Jun-17 22:04:28

I'd take him to the GP to get him checked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now