Talk

Advanced search

Desperate help need to get Independent naps for 3month old

(12 Posts)
Jamumm Wed 31-May-17 17:37:30

My 3 month old baby will only nap in my arms. As much as this is lovely and I love her snuggles I gave a toddler to look after too. It's not working for baby to be in my arms for 2hr out or every 3 either being feed, changed, put to sleep and then actually sleeping. I don't have any. Time for toddler. Never mind cook/housework etc etc
She used to sleep in car seat or pram but now she doesn't so easily. It. Took over an hr out walking in pram to get her to sleep and we set off as we were approaching sleep time.

I feel like I have tried everything to get her to sleep anywhere but my arms and it's not working.
Put her down drowsy but awake and she perks up instantly smiling up and babbling away and won't go to sleep. She has went to sleep twice this way but woke after 20-30 mins.
I tried to put her to sleep in my arms then put her down and either wakes immediately or 6minutes later.. Regardless of how long I hold her for first.

Has anyone had a similar problem and over came it? Or have any suggestions as to what to try?
I'm desperate.
Thanks

HerculesParrot Wed 31-May-17 17:42:17

Sling? Allows you to get stuff done. Or bouncy chair? That allows you to give some attention to toddler (albeit stationary!) but it's potentially easier to cease bouncing and sneak off than to move a sleepy baby.

ScarletSienna Wed 31-May-17 17:43:59

The only thing that worked for me was a sling.

FATEdestiny Wed 31-May-17 18:17:20

Dummy and bouncy chair.

And be relentless about it.

Jamumm Wed 31-May-17 18:56:54

I tried a sling, it worked when she was a younger now she just cries same in the carrier.
She has never fallen asleep in the bouncer not once. She needs put to sleep she hasn't ever other than after ages in the moving pram fallen asleep without me.
sad

Jamumm Wed 31-May-17 18:58:05

I even bought a swing thinking that could help but again not once will so go to sleep in it.

tethersend Wed 31-May-17 19:27:31

Have you tried a vibrating chair?

Jamumm Wed 31-May-17 19:56:54

Yeh my bouncer vibrates but it makes her sick.

My goal is to be able to her to sleep in the cot I have set up for her in the living room

countycouncil Wed 31-May-17 19:59:52

Do you swaddle her? I think the very latest research says not to (or maybe one arm out) but when my now almost 3 yr old was born they still suggested swaddling. My friends baby only falls asleep to really loud white noise, she puts her iPod in the cot with the baby and blares it.

practicallyperfectmummy Wed 31-May-17 21:04:09

Try white noise free on YouTube, is she having milk to sleep? They can get really reliant on falling asleep on bottle/boob and expecting you to stay in position. You were doing the right thing with half drowsy put down to sleep I would persevere and stay consistent with this. Also keep a set nap time this will really help, and carry on with put down to sleep. Also a sleepyhead or cheaper version poodle pod are great as they cocoon baby to feel really snug. Maybe look on local selling sites for second hand as they can be expensive. You will probably initially have a much harder week and protests but will be worth it long term, good luck.

Jamumm Thu 01-Jun-17 22:24:31

Thanks for all your replies.
I have a sleepyhead. At night I can put her down after a quick cuddle and she will go over herself. Days times are so different.
I was thinking of making set nap times but she wakes at different times in the morning and as she's so young can't handle being awaje

Jamumm Thu 01-Jun-17 22:26:09

She never falls asleep while feeding except at night feeds but I can put her straight down then. During the day sleep and feed at two different times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now