Talk

Advanced search

Feed before or after nap

(11 Posts)
voobylooby Tue 30-May-17 07:34:51

Somehow without really thinking about it, got into a schedule with 3 month old of eat, play, sleep. The problem with this is she never sleeps for more than 30 minutes. Although obviously it is great she can fall asleep without a feed.

Ideally I want to try and feed her before her nap instead, like I do for her big night sleep. Been trying this the last few days but seem to have ended up feeding her way more often, but she has slept for slightly longer.

Is this normal?to feed her often within each 'cycle'?

fruityb Tue 30-May-17 07:38:30

I quite often did eat play nap play nap eat. As otherwise Ds would have fed twice as often In the day and it would have been ridiculous

voobylooby Tue 30-May-17 07:43:07

Did your ds sleep a decent time? I'm worried my dd is waking out of hunger if I don't feed before nap.

DoubleHelix79 Tue 30-May-17 08:00:11

My 12 week old will not sleep longer than 30 minutes even if she's completely stuffed full of milk (we bf). It's like a timer is going off in her head... I wouldn't worry about her being too hungry to sleep longer.
Just out of interest: how do you get her to nap? It's an ongoing battle for us.

fruityb Tue 30-May-17 08:35:31

He was a catnapper when he was that age. And he mostly slept on me or on his playmat

FATEdestiny Tue 30-May-17 08:36:34

Short (30-45 minute) naps are normal at this stage of development. She isn't waking due to hunger, she is waking after one sleep cycle (normal thing to do).

Feeding upon waking is a very good habit to get into. Completely separating feeding and sleeping is a healthy long term sleep habits.

Incidentally, in case you had not realised, the cycles you have naturally fallen into is called EASY (eat > awake time > sleep > you time)

voobylooby Tue 30-May-17 08:49:06

Doublehelix we're lucky-just a dummy and white noise does the trick.

Maybe I'm wrong about waking from hunger then- sounds like it. Just funny because a lot of people have seemed surprised she only does 30 mins.

Yes we'd realised we'd fallen into EASY but was worried I was sacrificing hood sleep for a convenient routine....

DoubleHelix79 Tue 30-May-17 09:41:12

Thank you voobylooby. Count yourself lucky, we need 15+ minutes of bouncing and rocking each time. Although my arms have gotten a lot stronger as a result :-D

voobylooby Tue 30-May-17 09:43:42

We were doing that for a while doublehelix, but it now has no effect on her! Babies are so unpredictable!

thethoughtfox Tue 30-May-17 10:22:26

As PP said, most of the advice is to separate sleeping and eating so they don't think they need a bottle / breast to fall asleep.

voobylooby Tue 30-May-17 11:49:26

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to stick to the pattern we fell into as it was working for us! It's great to have such a supportive group of mums to think out loud with at whatever random hour you want!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now