Talk

Advanced search

Getting an active 9 month old to sleep

(3 Posts)
mollyfolk Sat 27-May-17 22:28:29

I have a very active 9 mo. He has serious FOMO and fights sleep to the end. At bedtime is is trying to leap out of my arms to crawl around - if you put him in the cot, he loves to pull himself up and creep around and if I try and feed him asleep, he likes to shake his head vigorously from side to side (ouch) At the moment I'm reduced to basically holding him against me tightly and singing him to sleep. I can feel him desperately trying to eascape my grip and I feel quite cruel. Any better ideas or experiences?

FATEdestiny Sat 27-May-17 22:53:11

shake his head vigorously from side to side

One of mine used to do that. It's the non verbal equlavilant of "I'm completely exhausted and desperate to get to sleep, stop messing me around and help me get to sleep".

Holding him tightly is a good way. I wouldn't sing though - too simulating. Lying him in a cot and physically placing your hands on him quite firmly may help. As may lying down and cuddle in a sort of pin-him-down kind of way.

Does he have a comforter of any kind?

Mostly he sounds over tired. The best thing to do is get him sleeping more, since the more fleet baby gets the easier it is to get hin to sleep.

What's his daytime routine like?

mollyfolk Wed 31-May-17 15:09:36

His day time routine is a bit all over the place. He's a light sleeper and will only nap in peace and quiet. I try and stay in for one nap a day but have a 3 year old also so not poss to stay in for second nap. He usually gets one good nap (1.5 hours) and one 40 min nap. Aim for 10am and 3pm for naps (pushing him to sleep right now)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now