Talk

Advanced search

12 weeks pregnant insomnia. Any ideas?

(7 Posts)
MyNameIsNotYourName Thu 25-May-17 13:56:27

I'm struggling to sleep at night. I know fatigue is normal in pregnancy anyway, but I feel really fatigued during the day and I think it's mainly due to lack of sleep at night. This is my third baby and I don't remember feeling this bad with my other two DC.

Just wondered if anyone has any remedies (safe in pregnancy of course) to help me sleep at night?

I also wanted to ask about anxiety, I feel breathless and panicky at night which doesn't help and keeps me awake too. Just looking for some advice on this really?

FATEdestiny Thu 25-May-17 14:37:01

It might be worth talking to your doctor about feeling breathless and panicky in the night. There can be medical reasons for this that are not just mental health. It should be checked because it might be serious.

Are your anxiety levels high generally? There are various anti anxiety medication you can take whilst pregnant and these may help.

Aside from that, I'd say coping strategies are probably more realistic than solving the problem directly.

Have you got earplugs? How about an eye mask?

Have you considered your temperature - are you to hot or cold?

Also reduce screen time, especially in the hour before bed.

Turn around your clock so you can't see it (and obsess about the time)

Appreciate the value in just lying in a darkened room and relaxing, even 8f you don't sleep.

Nap as much as you can in the daytime. Even if it's just half an hour when your husband gets home from work.

MyNameIsNotYourName Thu 25-May-17 15:00:43

Thank you. All things worth trying.
As for the anxiety I am a sufferer of it and it seems as thought it's got worse since being pregnant. Will have a chat with GP and see if they can help

RuthB4 Thu 25-May-17 17:29:32

Have a look at the Circle and Bloom website. Id really recommend them! They sell mindfulness podcasts to download which are targetted at women in pregnancy or people with anxiety. They are lovely and deeply soothing and also help you bond with your unborn baby. I also found I'd be asleep before it finished!!

Good luck. I really sympathise!

MyNameIsNotYourName Thu 25-May-17 17:32:15

RuthB4
Thank you, will be looking at that tonight. Fingers crossed I can sleep ok tonight

tatohead Thu 25-May-17 18:13:30

I had horrendous pregnancy insomnia. Bonus was I can handle my child's awful sleep because I actually got more sleep when she was born.

I found listening to audiobooks helped. Avoid screens at all costs at night.

MyNameIsNotYourName Thu 25-May-17 18:19:02

Tatohead
Wouldn't be surprised if I was the same, from experience with my other two DCs it won't get any better when I'm huge and can't get comfortable lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now