Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

6 month old doesn't want to leave my bed.

(20 Posts)
Sashasays Tue 23-May-17 11:34:32

She has been co-sleeping since she was about 2/3 months old as it was easier to breastfeed like that. But now no matter what I do she won't settle in her cot. I've tried a bedtime routine and still she won't settle but if I put her in my bed she will sleep soundly. I try get her to nap in her cot during the day but normally she will only tap about 20 minutes in there but if she was in my bed she would nap about an hour.

I'm wondering how do I get her sleeping in her cot properly, I try to get her down about 7, by 8 she's up and ends up going to sleep sometimes at 1am when I give up and just let her sleep with me. I'm exhausted and have no clue what to do

NotSureYet Tue 23-May-17 12:17:06

That sounds exhausting. What do you think is waking her? Your not being near? Could you sleep in her room with her for a couple of nights while she gets used to her cot and new room?
Or maybe could you sleep with her cot sheet/blanket for a night so it smells like you. Maybe that'll help her sleep through better if she can smell you.

Sashasays Tue 23-May-17 12:21:44

Yes I think it's me not being near which is waking her. Her cot is in my room anyway so she wakes up cries and when she seems me expects me to pick her up. I will sleep with her blanket tonight and see if it does any good

ProfPlumInTheLibrary Tue 23-May-17 12:24:21

My dd was like this. We actually kept her in her moses basket then her cot until she was over one, then we gave up and moved her to our bed and she's still there now,. Even in our bed she still wakes once or twice a night on average, sometimes more, very rarely less. (she's three). I don't know what to advise as nothing worked for us but wanted to sympathise with the tiredness. I do not miss the days of running back and forth to her room.

Does she sleep longer in your bed even if you're not in it? If so maybe a different mattress in her cot would help, one more similar to the one on your bed? We tried that for our dd. And I put in a muslin that I'd kept on me for a while (and put some breastmilk on it) in the hope that would be comforting. We also found our dd slept better on her front in the cot (I know it's against guidelines, just putting it out there). White noise helps some babies to sleep better too.

ProfPlumInTheLibrary Tue 23-May-17 12:25:32

As I said though, nothing seemed to make our dd sleep through. The sleeping on her front improved things (she slept for slightly longer stretches) but that was about it.

Sashasays Tue 23-May-17 12:40:15

I doubt she would fit in her Moses basket now, she's quite a tall baby. I'm knackered, she's fallen asleep on the boob and I'm so tempted to nap. She will nap in my bed but I don't think it's the mattress, I think it's because when she does I tuck the blanket round her like she's being held If that makes sense.

I think if I put her on her belly I wouldn't get no sleep as I'd be checking on her constantly. This is endless, not feeling very hopeful

Matchstickbox Tue 23-May-17 12:47:24

My DD is 22 months and still co sleeping. I'm trying to get her in her own bed too. I feel for you. I kinda wish I'd listened and done the hard work and moved her at 6m because it only gets harder to do. Sorry.

Sashasays Tue 23-May-17 12:50:59

I feel for you too, match. That must be really hard as she is 22 months. I'm gonna start weaning her off breastmilk soon so hopefully that will help also

FATEdestiny Tue 23-May-17 13:16:08

Could you remove one side of your cot and sidecar it to your bed?

Sashasays Tue 23-May-17 16:00:57

I think I possibly could FATE but I've noticed it's the closeness of her near me that she likes, she snuggles into my arm so maybe that will work. How long is she supposed to be sleeping at 6m ?

FATEdestiny Tue 23-May-17 16:31:58

Sounds like the ideal answer. Then start moving away from her once she's settled (in the cot). Go back to cuddling her if she needs you, but then extract yourself when she's settled.

It will gradually get her used to being asleep in her cot, and also going to sleep lying in her cot.

It's really difficult to say how much sleep a baby should have by age. Baby sleep develops in wildly different rates dependant on many different factors.

Sashasays Wed 24-May-17 23:28:45

Thank you. How did everyone wean their baby off breastmilk. I am finding it extremely difficult

FATEdestiny Thu 25-May-17 08:01:34

Will she take a bottle of formula?

Fattynoms02 Thu 25-May-17 08:36:47

Feel your pain with the tiredness. My DD is 7.5 months and won't nap in the cot and is also up 2-3 times a night.
Now she can roll on to her side, she sleeps a bit better. We've also persevered with using a slumber buddy and comforter so that when she hears the music etc, she knows it's time to sleep.....still have to rock her for 10-20 minutes first.

Also struggling to wean my DD off breastmilk, but it's getting less now that she's eating more solids.

Hope things start to improve for you.

Sashasays Thu 25-May-17 14:09:43

Nope she won't take a bottle. She just chews on the teat, this is why I'm struggling.

FATEdestiny Thu 25-May-17 14:39:40

Yes, I can imagine. How about a cup or lidded beaker?

Do you actually want to stop breastfeeding completely? Is there a time-frame for this?

Sashasays Fri 26-May-17 00:10:48

There's no timeframe. Just want to slowly cut down breastfeeding as I want to go back to college within the next year. I wouldn't mind giving her breast at bedtime but would prefer to bottle feed during the day as it would be more convenient for me. I do love breastfeeding as I feel we bond when she feeds so don't want to take that away completely. She won't take a lidded beaker unfortunately, I will try a cup and she how she gets on. Fingers crossed.

Tw1nsetAndPearls Fri 26-May-17 00:13:24

Can you not just carry on cosleeping if it means that you all get more sleep?

Sashasays Fri 26-May-17 00:53:48

I guess I could. I don't mind co sleeping with her but I eventually do want her to sleep in her own bed and I feel like if I don't stop co sleeping with her now then it's gonna be harder in the future. The having to put her back in her cot makes me exhausted.

Tw1nsetAndPearls Fri 26-May-17 01:51:50

We moved our son into his cot at 15 months as I was recovering from surgery and couldn't risk him kicking me. I thought we had left it too late and that it would be a nightmare. He went to sleep in his cot with no fuss

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now