Talk

Advanced search

Anyone's 3+ yo still need to nap?

(8 Posts)
InsaneDame Mon 22-May-17 10:24:33

I thought my DS would have outgrown naps by now but he still seems to need one every other day (3.1yo). I wouldn't mind but he will only drop off in the car and it's starting to get too warm for him to sleep for an hour in it. Without the naps he starts waking earlier and earlier through overtiredness. My eldest dropped napping at 2.5yo, much more preferable IMO!

drspouse Mon 22-May-17 10:26:52

My DS dropped his nap 1 week before his 4th birthday (which was handy as we went skiing, with afternoon lessons, 1 week after his birthday).

We ended up at the point where he needed them but was fighting them. We gave him a 30 minute sand timer (they use them at nursery, got it from Ebay) and sent him in our bed (because DD was napping in their bedroom) and he had to lie down but he didn't have to sleep. Some days he just held the sand timer and waited!
We did the whole blind down, story, sit outside the room thing.

MrsJoyOdell Mon 22-May-17 10:27:17

My 3 year old (nearly 3.5) doesn't nap every day, but she does seem to need to once/twice a week. She will also only sleep in the car, or she ends up falling asleep on the sofa at 4-4.30pm which is horrendous!

FATEdestiny Mon 22-May-17 10:30:14

All three of mine were still napping (in their cot/bed) past their third birthday.

DC3 was still napping at 4.6y, plus 12h sleep at night. I had tp force the issue for him to drop his nap ready for starting school.

2y7m old DD is still napping 3h plus at lunchtime. I can see her keeping her naptime wayyyyy past her 3rd birthday.

wheresthel1ght Mon 22-May-17 10:33:33

Yup, 4 in August and still naps most days

LucyLocketLostIt Mon 22-May-17 10:41:47

4.5 and still likes a nap, although not every day now.

Deduct37 Wed 24-May-17 16:07:35

My little girl, who was 3 in January still needs them, but won't take them like yours. She will only sleep in the car, and would often fall asleep as early as 11, so surely must have been tired. We can't drive her every day as we have a baby and it's not practical. We try to make sure she gets a nap once a week but even now, she is beginning to fight car naps too, unless it's late on in the day. Last night she was begging to go to bed at 5, the other night she was asking at 4!! She's generally in bed at 6 anyway and will usually sleep until 6.30/7 which I think is brilliant in comparison to what she used to be like. When she gets overtired, she also starts waking earlier in the mornings, and has restless sleep, so the following day, we do our best to get her to nap, although not possible when I'm on my own. If she hasn't had a nap the day after a disturbed night or an earlier get up, I put her to bed around 5/5.30 and she still wakes the same time the following day. It seems to help her catch up a little bit. We've just got back off holiday and she's really struggling to get over her tiredness, and it's definately shown in her behaviour!

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Tue 30-May-17 15:16:28

Yes but not everyday. He's a lovely little boy but when he's tired he's a different child. The problem is then sometimes it disrupts his sleep at night and he really doesn't come round well if he is woken, but really sometimes it's just unavoidable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now