Talk

Advanced search

What to do about the dummy?

(14 Posts)
Lillieslamb Wed 17-May-17 22:18:16

Dd is 11 months old, and sleeps with a dummy in her cot. Day time naps are generally okay, but at night time I feel I am always up putting it back in for her (sometimes up to every 30 mins). I think she could put it back in if she wanted to, but likes me to do it for her.

I've tried putting lots of dummies in her cot, but she either wakes up and plays with them or bangs them on the cot. I don't like the idea of using a dummy clip in case the layed on it, but even if I did use one I think she'd just pull it off as she does when she has the dummy in the car.

I have recently cut down dd's use of the dummy just to night time and in the car, which has gone well as I before she sometimes had it in the day. She does still seem to rely on the dummy at night time though, as she winges or cries for it.

I read online a sleep consultant said if your baby doesn't learn to put the dummy back in themselves you should stop giving it to them, but I'm not sure.

Is there anything I can do, or do I just have to hope she learns to do it herself soon? She is able to sleep without the dummy in for a while when it falls out, but as soon as she stirs she wants it again.

NapQueen Wed 17-May-17 22:19:52

If you think she js capable of putting it back in then leave her to it. Knot a muslin square round the little handle part so if needs be she can grab that and feel round it til she finds the dummy.

Lillieslamb Wed 17-May-17 22:23:07

Thanks that's a good idea, I may give that a try tomorrow night.

I have tried leaving her to it before, but she just won't and wakes right up, so it's easier to quickly so it myself while she's still not fully awake.

FATEdestiny Wed 17-May-17 22:25:59

She should be able to do it herself by now.

I sewed a ribbon into the chest of the sleeping bag, with press stud at the end. No lumpy clip then. And no pulling it off. If you feel she'd pull the press stud open, you could either use a button instead or tie the ribbon in a knot around the dummy.

Another idea would be to perminantly are the dummy to the end of the ribbon. So it physically can't be removed. Just wash the dummy with the sleeping bag in the washer.

By 12 months I had limited dummy use to only in the cot. The dummy was perminantly attached to the ribbon on the sleeping bag and this was the only place the dummy ever was, there were no other dummies apart from the sleeping bag dummy.

There is then absolutely no reason he can't do his own dummy then. A sweeping motion over his chest finds the ribbon, which finds the dummy. He should be able to do that with his eyes shut.

peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 17-May-17 22:28:32

Honestly, when DS was needing it put back in every half an hour (9m), it wasn't doing its job anymore, so we got rid. No one is getting any benefit from it if you're all waking up for it to be replaced.

Lillieslamb Wed 17-May-17 22:31:25

Thank you for your reply, that's a really good idea actually I'd never thought of that. A press stud would hopefully be harder for her to pull off too.

I know that she could do it, but why do it when mummy does it for her I think! I do still want to keep the dummy for sleep times as she needs it, but glad I'm now limiting it more which has she hasn't minded at all.

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Wed 17-May-17 22:31:29

Fate. I know this sound daft but how long was the ribbon and did you sew it into the middle of the chest or to the shoulder? I did his with dd a few nights ago but then took it off because I was worried about it being near her neck.

Lillieslamb Wed 17-May-17 22:32:27

Peacelove - what did you do when he stirred for it?

FATEdestiny Wed 17-May-17 22:42:51

I know this sound daft but how long was the ribbon and did you sew it into the middle of the chest or to the shoulder

I sewed it into the middle of the chest, at the top, just under their neck. Then the ribbon would be long enough to reach baby's ear. That way baby could lie head to the left or right and dummy would reach their mouth, but not long enough to reach round the neck.

I've got these ribbons sewn onto every sleeping bag I own - from newborn size right through to Aged 3. In the early months it meant dummy was easier for me to find with my eyes closed. When baby was older, easier for the child to find themself

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Wed 17-May-17 22:50:54

Super. Thanks very much.

peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 17-May-17 23:57:52

I did a gentler, suitable-for-a-9mo version of controlled crying. He didn't miss the dummy at all. In fact, when particularly desperate during a sleep setback at about 18m I tried reintroducing a dummy - he spat it out and threw it across the room confusedblush

I never felt comfortable using a dummy clip at night, but a press stud would be easy to pull off in an emergency. Some of the clips are so child-proof that I struggled to get them open myself!

peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 17-May-17 23:58:18

Meant to add good luck OP. Sleeplessness is shit brew

Jojo13 Thu 18-May-17 06:00:31

We went cold turkey when it got to that stage and never looked back.

Lillieslamb Fri 19-May-17 07:40:48

Thank you so much, I definitely have a few things to try out now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now