Talk

Advanced search

Space saver cot as co-sleeper

(13 Posts)
RobyneHet Tue 16-May-17 16:48:18

Hi ladies...hoping you can help me make a decision!
DS is 7months old and still sleeping in snuzpod attached to my bed! He's far to big so need to get a cot...(he has beautiful sleigh cotbed in his own room that's he sleeps in for about 2 hours night 🙈😣🤣)
Is it best to buy a space saver cot that has a drop side? Or best to buy a standard one and take one side completely off? I want to wedge it against my bed as DS needs me to put my hand on him through the night to settle. There's so many to pick from...some only have 2 mattress height settings as well...presumably right at the top and the bottom, which I guess is unlikely to be same height as my bed??
Any links or suggestions welcome please before I waste any more money 🙄😜

RebelRogue Tue 16-May-17 17:56:39

Just move his cot in your bedroom beside your bed?

ElspethFlashman Tue 16-May-17 18:05:15

Mothercare has a small one, Apsley or something. And IKea have one.

I did this. Put the mattress on the setting closest to my own mattress and raised it with hardback books. Lashed it to my bedframe with ratchets. It wasn't a drop side - we just physically unscrewed one side. Worked a treat.

However I was intending to move them out before too long. If you want them to share long term then see if you can unscrew the side of the cot bed you already have, as those cots I mentioned will be too small eventually.

RobyneHet Tue 16-May-17 18:51:42

Hi folks...thanks for replying.
Well...my intention was to have him sleeping in his own room by 6months...but he has other ideas 🙄😡. I've spent the best part of 6 weeks trailing backwards and forwards to nursery every 1-2 hours all night long so I've admitted defeat! At least in snuzpod we get some sleep (even if I can't move my shoulder in the morning from having to lean on him half the night 🙈).
Anyway...so yes...hoping it's just a semi-permanent arrangement and he will eventually be happy to sleep in his own room.
I would move his cot but it's huge and will mean moving furniture out of our bedroom etc. Plus I want to keep putting him in there at the start of the night....say 7pm-10pm 🙏🏻 and also for daytime naps.
Sounds like a fixed side cot will be best then and just have one side completely unscrewed. Will it need tethered to my bed?! 😱 Hadnt thought of that? Too much of a gap for it to be safe? X

ElspethFlashman Tue 16-May-17 18:56:23

No it needs serious tethering. It will move as they thump around and as you slump over to him in the middle of the night. That's why we used ratchet straps for the tension.

And even then you will need to shove his mattress flush with yours which means a gap on the far side which must be well plugged the entire length with rolled up bath towels or similar.

Theducksarenotmyfriends Tue 16-May-17 19:05:38

I used a foam bed bridge to plug the gap so it's a flatter surface between the two mattresses. Her cot sheets stretch over them.

RobyneHet Tue 16-May-17 19:10:28

Blimey right ok...hadn't thought about this! Just assumed it would butt up to my bed same as snuzpod. I'll have to get one bought I think and then look at how we will secure it? We have a divan bed x

Theducksarenotmyfriends Tue 16-May-17 19:28:21

We just used bungee cords to attach the cot to these strong handles we have on the mattress. It's just a regular cot with the side down and works fine.

StarSpotter Tue 16-May-17 19:37:18

I had the same problem and bought this and left one side off. Then tethered and plugged the gap. There are other colours Asda cot

FATEdestiny Tue 16-May-17 20:06:05

If you can wedge the cot so it's held against your bed, that would work. For example cot pushed up against wall one side and your bed the other side.

As mentioned, if not then the cot will wiggle away from the bed.

Bungee cords work too.

If you can find a drop-side, I think they are best for cosleeper. It means you have the extra option of side on, but in the lowered position. You can also have the side off completely. But when baby is standing and climbing, you'll probably want the side of the cot back on. A drop side gives you more options.

By 7 months old I had the side back on the cosleeper, because baby was pulling to standing by then. But being able to have the side dropped (perminantly) meant teaching into the cot from my bed was easier.

RobyneHet Tue 16-May-17 20:52:40

Gr8 thanks folks 👍 So chatting with DH and we've come to the conclusion that we can actually wedge the cot against the wall and then push our bed up to it if we move the chest of drawers to the other side of the room...I hope this baby appreciates this 😒🤣
Think I'll go for one with drop side...then like you say Fate, we have options then. I still intend to put him for naps in his own cot so I know he's safe and basically just use co-sleeper set up when I'm in bed myself. X

AlbusPercival Tue 16-May-17 21:04:29

We have this one as just like you DS grew out of the snuzpod. www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/baby/cots/gulliver-cot-white-art-10248519/

On highest mattress level with dropped side. It's tied to our bed with the snuzpod divan straps.

We have a wooden bed with a slight lip so to butt his mattress up to mine i wedged a swimming woggle down the other side

RobyneHet Wed 17-May-17 10:00:34

Looks perfect thanks 🙂
DS slept in his own cot until 4am 😂 Still getting 1 tho...it must be a one off ! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now