Talk

Advanced search

Advice please!

(2 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Tue 16-May-17 09:04:44

I can't remember if I've posted on this or not but either way need some advice.

Baby was premature and in hospital for a long time. Slept through the night before leaving hospital.

5 months after leaving became ill (ongoing health issues relating to breathing so crying it out not an option) and slept in our bed with us as we were very concerned about him.

Since he's recovered (albeit with less serious relapses) he's been a terrible sleeper. Doesn't want to go to bed or stay in his room, will only go to sleep when cuddled. Wakes 3-4 times a night for cuddles/milk. Is very clingy will only settle if attached to us/wrapped around us. One of us frequently has to sleep next to him on the floor (where he joins us during the night) to get any decent amount of sleep.

He has reasonable naps, but falls asleep either in the pushchair or while having a cuddle.

At nursery he has decent naps and self settles there (!!)

The poor sleep is exhausting us (we take it in turns to be "on duty". We're concerned he has separation issues as he was apart from us in hospital for so long so don't really want to abandon him in his room. The other thing is when we tried to let him cry it out he got so worked up that he couldn't breathe and obviously can't risk that happening with his history.

Same bedtime routine each night, but we put him down and he gets up, we put him down again etc - it's like Groundhog Day...

He's 20 months old (16 months corrected)

Any thoughts or advice?

FATEdestiny Tue 16-May-17 10:50:03

The best way for you all to get the most sleep would be to bed share. I would say that a super kingsized bed will be the best possible investment you could make for the sake of the sleep quality of everyone, every night.

If that's not possible, a side car cot would be my next suggestion. Remove one dide off the cot and wedge it next to your bed. It means you are right there to reassure and comfort whenever he needs it, but can do so from the comfort of your own bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now