Talk

Advanced search

6 month old screaming

(11 Posts)
ShuttyTown Mon 15-May-17 18:36:03

My 6 month old DD has been a brilliant sleeper since about 10 weeks, slept right through 5pm-6am. She was always put down to sleep when awake and she'd get herself off to sleep with no crying.

Something has now changed. For the past few nights, she screams hysterically when put to bed, there is nothing I can do to console her, she doesn't want her dummy or her bottle, she doesn't stop when I pick her up, she just carries on screaming until she is so exhausted she stops. She is teething but is fine through the day with the usual calpol and teething gels etc. I'm at my wits end. I hate leaving her to cry but consoling her doesn't help one bit. Any ideas?

FATEdestiny Mon 15-May-17 21:06:00

If she normally sleeps well then she simply wouldn't regress to this extent for no reason. There must be something wrong, so cry it out seems very cruel in the circumstances.

If she is teething, then cutting her first teeth may be the most obvious reason. Other pain that is not outwardly obvious are sore throat and ear ache.

Really you can just cuddle through it and manage best you can while baby feels rotten. I assume you've given pain killers.

PonderLand Mon 15-May-17 21:15:31

Have you introduced any new food to her? Milk, eggs, wheat etc? Try teething remedies first but I'd also be wary of any new foods she's had since it started. My son used to cry a lot at night and I think it was his teeth, I tried gel, granules and this teething dummy thing. If he carried on crying after I'd tried all herbal remedies I'd give him calpol/nurofen.

PonderLand Mon 15-May-17 21:17:51

And agree with PP, could also be sore throats/ ear ache. If only they could speak to say what was up, if excessive crying carries on then I'd take my son to gp to check his throat/ears/feel his tummy etc.

ShuttyTown Tue 16-May-17 06:14:25

Thanks everyone, think I'll take her to the doctors for a check up today. She was crying on and off all night, she would settle for a while if I went in and give her her dummy back and rub Calgel on her gums but she never seemed totally settled even with calpol. I'm sure it must be her teeth but would like to get anything else ruled out.

ShuttyTown Tue 16-May-17 14:45:03

If anyone is still reading I've been to the doctors and DD has an ear infection. Hopefully we'll be back to normality once the antibiotics kick in. Thanks for the replies

FATEdestiny Tue 16-May-17 14:59:14

Im really glad you got an answer, and glad you didn't end up leaving her to cry when evidentially there was something wrong.

I hope she feels better soon. And that you all get more sleep!

ShuttyTown Tue 16-May-17 19:01:11

Thanks @FATEdestiny she's gone to bed with no problems tonight and is fast asleep. Thank goodness for antibiotics!

I didn't really make it too clear in my OP, I wouldn't have left her to cry, I couldn't ever do that even when they aren't ill. I'm not a believer in cc either, seems cruel to me. I just meant that even when I was picking her up or laying her down the crying stayed the same and I ended up just stood over the cot rubbing her tummy and trying to soothe her but she didn't respond to anything. Didn't want anyone to think I was just leaving her alone to cry when she's ill smile

Thanks again x

FATEdestiny Tue 16-May-17 19:14:21

Thank goodness for antibiotics. And also good GPs, because ear infections in babies are often missed.

Im so glad she's getting better, and sorry for misunderstanding you op.

CottonSock Tue 16-May-17 19:16:39

5 till 6. I still can't get past that whilst sobbing silently

ShuttyTown Wed 17-May-17 10:58:51

Sorry @CottonSock I know, honestly don't know where I got a baby like her from that will sleep like that. We are very lucky. Feel free to slap me grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now