Talk

Advanced search

Is there a 16 month sleep regression I don't know about?

(6 Posts)
Summerdays2014 Sun 14-May-17 09:05:11

Hi,

Naps and early mornings have always been an issue for my 16 month old son. But the (big) consolation was that he was sleeping through from 7pm and has been for months. The last few weeks though he's been crying before going to sleep so I've had to go in and sit with him and waking up several times a night. This is not every night but 3 or 4 times a week. Morning wake up time varies massively and I just have no idea about naps anymore-can't work out timings or lengths or if it should be 1 or 2 naps - it seems to be different every single day. I have read about an 18 month regression - is he just early?!?

Thanks

MessyBun247 Sun 14-May-17 11:52:45

Theres a wonder week at 16 months which can cause sleep disruption and nightmares. Can last up to 5 weeks then should go back to normal.

Summerdays2014 Sun 14-May-17 12:16:50

Thanks messybun. Just had a look at the wonder weeks app-he's not due for 9 days, but I guess it could have come early!

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Sun 14-May-17 13:14:53

I don't know about 16 months but I definitely noticed 'something' around 18 months with both of my kids. Sleep regression, growth spurt, whatever it was it was enough to make me notice it.

Nap times were changing around this time too, dropping from 2 to 1, but it seemed to take a few weeks.

Good luck! Hopefully if it's starting early it means it will finish early! <clutches at all the straws>

minipie Thu 18-May-17 14:27:09

The 18 month sleep regression was a total bastard with DD2 but it was at 18 months not 16. IS he teething?

TeaTeaTea Fri 19-May-17 21:17:07

OOOHH! So there is an 18month sleep regression? My DS definately got the baby-memo on that one confused

Summerdays2014 - my DS has been a good sleeper too from 7pm until 6am but I'd say for a couple of days a month since he was about a year old he'd have rubbish sleep and nightmares. I'm pretty sure it's been teething.
Is your DS actually waking up in the night or are they night terrors? (Crying in sleep, sounding as if they're awake but don't really respond to you and fall asleep quickly)? If night terrors check you're then not waking him fully as this in turn upsets them more and creates more disrupted sleep creating a vicious cycle or tiredness.

I no longer worry about nap times or length - as long as my DS has his 1 nap a day and no longer than 2hrs then I'm (and he is) happy. At 16months we aimed for an 11am nap then he'd wake and have lunch and a longer enough afternoon to tire out in time for bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now