Talk

Advanced search

Nightfeeds and Pregnant

(7 Posts)
AlfaMummy Thu 11-May-17 20:30:31

Just hoping for some advice - currently bf my 8.5 month old DD, who feeds to sleep and is still waking 2-3 times per night and again feeds back to sleep. Months ago, I could put her in her Moses awake after a feed and she'd drop off, but not anymore.

DH and I are thinking of TTC in a couple of months and I've been told by my GP that my milk will probably dry up. Any ideas how I can wean from night feeds, so if my milk does disappear, at least my DD will still sleep (somewhat!!). After complimenting my bf with formula top ups in the early days, DD now refuses a bottle!! Any advice appreciated.

Cel982 Thu 11-May-17 20:33:45

I wouldn't worry about trying to night wean in advance of your milk drying up. In my case it was once she stopped getting anything from the boob (when I was around 16 weeks pregnant) that my DD lost interest and just stopped waking at night. Also, not everybody does lose their supply during pregnancy, and some babies/toddlers will continue to feed right through. So there may not be a problem at all.

Ridingthegravytrain Thu 11-May-17 20:48:51

I didn't lose my supply until it turned to colostrum at the end and she naturally weaned so you may not even need to worry

AlfaMummy Thu 11-May-17 22:35:21

Many thanks for the responses. Dr did say the supply might not dry up, just a bit worried about being pregnant and having a screaming baby who won't sleep and who I cannot nurse! Slowly weaning off during pregnancy would be ideal - fingers crossed!!

Lovelilies Fri 12-May-17 06:35:15

Don't worry! I have a friend who's BF her 3 yo, 18m old and is 6 months pregnant.
Also have a friend who's tandem feeding a 3 yo and 10 m old.
Google it, there's lots of info out there

deaddeadgood Fri 12-May-17 06:39:04

My milk didn't dry up when pg with number 2. I continued to bf until I was about 6 months pg.

teaandbiscuitsforme Fri 12-May-17 07:36:46

I fed DD throughout my pregnancy and didn't have any issues with supply. She was 21 months when DS was born and over the months previously, we'd gradually changed things so that she wasn't feeding overnight and then not fed to sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now