Talk

Advanced search

10 month old sleep problems

(10 Posts)
PontypandyPioneer Wed 10-May-17 17:14:19

Hi, we need help!

From 5 months old, our now 10 month old DS started waking several times a night. We're now up 5-6 times and I'm broken sad also have a 2.5 year old so no rest during the day. We hadn't started weaning at this point so don't think food is the problem.

He gets milk just once at night, every other time he wakes I just try to settle him back down. He's learned to self settle when he goes down at 7pm.

He's never had and won't have a dummy. He does have a little comforter.

He eats well during the day, but naps are sometimes good and sometimes bad. This doesn't make a difference to his night time sleep.

We're on holiday this week and I'm about to cut it short for me and DS2 as his sleeping is so bad he's making DS1 wake up and very very grumpy. DH is staying to try to enjoy the last few days with DS1.

I'm really grumpy and touchy because I'm so tired. DH helps out as much as possible but he's also knackered.

Any advice?

Millipede170 Wed 10-May-17 21:05:27

PPP I remember you from a previous thread. Sorry things aren't improving yet.

Your DS sounds a lot like mine was at that age, not napping well, going down ok at bedtime but waking numerous times (mine is now 1yr and much better, if that gives you hope). Is he crawling yet? That was a total turning point at this end. He could finally get himself comfortable in his cot and chooses to sleep on his side or front. If he's not crawling yet (rolling didn't cut it) can you try laying him on his side? I used our feeding pillow to support his back for a while before he could fully do it himself. It really did help. Just a thought x

FATEdestiny Wed 10-May-17 21:18:55

Being over tired can cause restless overnight sleep with frequent wake ups. What's his daytime sleep like?

As mention above though, gross motor skill developments can have massive effects on sleep around this age. IME this stage can lead baby to be unable to switch off and you have to work on ways of proactively helping baby with the practicalities of going to sleep (lying down, being still, being quiet, relaxing and closing eyes). These skills don't come naturally to many children and have to be taught.

PontypandyPioneer Thu 11-May-17 08:08:21

Hi Millipede thanks for replying. Yes he's been crawling for about 6 weeks now so don't think that's the problem! I've tried putting him on his side but he just wriggles around anyway.

Fate sometimes he only has two half hour naps a day which I know is really bad but I've tried everything to extend them and nothing works. Also tried to get him down for more naps and he doesn't go! Walks in pram or the car don't work he just sings quite happily! Sometimes he does nap longer but it doesn't make a difference to night time sleep, I've even tried keeping a diary of food he's had & naps he's had and there's no pattern. He just doesn't like sleep!

Wondering if a chiropractor may help? I know some people say they can work wonders on babies.

Orangebird69 Thu 11-May-17 08:11:49

Do you mean osteopath OP?

PontypandyPioneer Thu 11-May-17 08:53:56

Yes that's what I mean. I don't know anyone who's used one but have heard good general things about them.

FATEdestiny Thu 11-May-17 09:29:55

I think osteopath claim to work on birth trauma in newborn babies, rather than older ones. No reason not to give it a go though, if the costs aren't prohibitive.

How do you get him to sleep during the da

FATEdestiny Thu 11-May-17 09:30:11

day*

PontypandyPioneer Sun 14-May-17 08:34:18

Sorry I didn't get a notification that you'd answered! Daytime naps are all over the place as DS1 is busy and goes to lots of toddler groups etc, so DS1 just tags along so sometimes buggy and sometimes car.

However progress in the last few days - he's slept until 5/6am but then waking up screaming the house down with his eyes closed, obviously waking too early as he's tired again within an hour. I think he may be waking for milk and that would send him back to sleep - but am I right in offering water until he realises his 'proper' wake up time?

He did go through until 7am two days ago and woke in the nicest mood ever, and sat and chatted in his cot for a while. No milk overnight at all - I couldn't believe it! I didn't sleep though, kept waking thinking he's going to wake soon typical!

Millipede170 Sun 14-May-17 09:53:29

Mine does that too, wakes anywhere between 4 and 5.30 all upset. I must admit I give him a feed and then he goes back to sleep till 7-ish, waking up all smiles and sweetness. If I don't feed him, he screams until I get him up and is then foul all day. So I'm just hoping this is (yet) another phase that he'll move on from in time. Others will vehemently disagree I'm sure but it's the least painful option for us right now!
Congrats on the sleepthrough. Once DS managed it a couple of times, we were out of the woods in terms of the hourly wakings etc (less a couple of bad teeth/illness nights).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now