Talk

Advanced search

Sleep regression and teething

(30 Posts)
sjess Wed 03-May-17 05:02:13

My nearly 4 month old is teething and having a sleep regression (I think) at the same time. It's been going for over a month now. I feel like all the universes have come together in one massive cluster fuck of cosmic proportions and I'm losing my shit. Had a little taste of what it's like to feel normal when she slept through for one glorious week 6 weeks ago before all hell broke lose 😭 Anyone else been trough the same, how did you hold it together? How do I get the baby to stay asleep? Any tips welcome before I shoot myself...

Bella1985 Wed 03-May-17 09:48:37

No advice or positive stories here sorry, am in the same position as you with 18week old DS. Keeping an eye on your thread hoping to pick up some tips. I've downloaded the wonder weeks app which tells me I have another 12 days of hell before he should come out of it. This sort of makes me feel better able to cope as the end is getting closer. But can't shake the feeling that all babies are different and I can't depend on DS to follow the wonder weeks perfectly, what if he never comes out of this phase?! grin

Tw1nsetAndPearls Wed 03-May-17 09:49:24

Google 4 month sleep regression, you have lots of company. Good luck.

sjess Wed 03-May-17 09:55:55

I feel your pain! Know from experience that it's temporary, but while you're in it it feels like forever. Fingers crossed we get to sleep again soon. Good luck! x

sjess Wed 03-May-17 09:56:13

I feel your pain! Know from experience that it's temporary, but while you're in it it feels like forever. Fingers crossed we get to sleep again soon. Good luck! x

Tw1nsetAndPearls Wed 03-May-17 09:57:36

Sorry you know about the sleep regression - you even used the term. Am having a slow morning!

loveulotslikejellytots Wed 03-May-17 10:06:01

Dd is 16 months and has had (what I think) are 2 sleep regressions. Plus a couple of shitty weeks of teething and colds at the same time. As far as the sleep regression goes I have no advice really, just do what you have to do to get through it. The 4 month one, Dd would only sleep on me, so I'd set myself up a little camp downstairs. So when she woke, I could take her down stark if needed and she'd doze on me while I watched tv. I'd try and catch up on sleep if she slept in the day or if my mum popped in. At the time of this one DH had just started 4 weeks of overtime so was working 6 days a week, 7:30 - 18:30 on 4 of those days and 24 hour shifts on the other 2 days. Everything else just goes to shit until it's over! We ate a lot of easy dinners (take away)!

The second one (around 9 months) started the day I went back to work hmm. This one was harder because since the last one dd had been sleeping through the night 7-6 and I'd gone back to work, so I was shattered! But I did a variation of the above but just didn't go downstairs or put any lights on. No talking, nothing. We coped, just. But it's fucking horrible. It does pass but it feels like forever.

I think the best advice is to just do what ever you have to to survive it! It will pass, just slowly!

Bella1985 Wed 03-May-17 10:32:21

I'm just glad this first one is happening during spring so daylight comes round quickly and it isn't as depressing being awake when the whole world seems to be asleep at 5am!

Good to hear love even though it sounds rough - especially the one coinciding with you going back to work. it is the feeling of it lasting forever that makes it worse!

Fingers crossed indeed sjess

FATEdestiny Wed 03-May-17 11:28:10

how did you hold it together? How do I get the baby to stay asleep? Any tips welcome

Turn the clock around in your bedroom so you cant see it. Stop counting how many wake ups or what time. This has a great psychological effect on how tired you feel.

Remove one side off a full sized cot and wedge up next to your bed. It means you can keep your hand on baby all night if needed.

Get a dummy for sleep time

Feed feed feed through the day. More feeds, more frequently throygh the daytime mean fewer needed at night.

Have in-cot ways to settle baby to sleep without being fed or hold. AKA The Dummy. The single most amazing invention for no crying indepentant sleep.

Lots of frequent daytime naps, with short 60-90m awake times in between to ensure baby gets lots more sleep than you are expecting. An over tired baby is a nightmare to get to sleep, then wakes frequently.

Rest and relax as much as you can in the day. Even if it's just 10 minutes without having to watch / talk to the children.

TinyTickler Fri 05-May-17 09:19:59

My 18 week old has been the same for about 6 weeks. Just horrendous, no tips, just sympathy. She's in a next 2 me crib and finding she will sometimes settle by me holding her hand with my other hand on her chest but not always.

Figuring it can't last forever!

Ineedacupofteadesperately Sat 06-May-17 19:01:52

Just want to join in. I have no answers. My DD rarely takes a dummy too (occasionally she will for a tiny bit which keeps me hoping!) - seems to have difficulty keeping it in her mouth. She is always sticking her tongue out which might be why the dummy keeps falling out. Why are human infants so bad at sleep - seems a design flaw!

Bella1985 Sat 06-May-17 19:22:00

One heck of a design flaw! I was starting to think I could cope and we could discuss when to have a 2nd child but now that this has hit I'm thinking maybe one will be enough!! 🤦🏻‍♀️

sjess Wed 24-May-17 04:07:12

Thanks all for the tips all. By now I am at my wits end, it's been two months. For about a week she started sleeping through again after a huge inprovement (only waking once a night). Her naps were better too. I almost dared to hope, but over the last few night things are steadily getting worse again. She's started waking earlier and earlier. A few days ago she woke up around 5, next night 4, the following 3 and tonight's 2.20. Then wakes half hourly/hourly This kid never bloody sleeps and I think I must be losing it. I can't face spending time with her every night settling her, so just leave her to it. I'm thinking the dummy is part of the problem, she goes to sleep with it and is unable to self soothe. Have tried the gentle method of holding and putting down when relaxed but still awake. Am actually contemplating sleep training, like ditching the dummy crying it out. She's 18 weeks. Is this a good idea? We're going on holiday and am facing spending a whilexweek sleeping in the same room, with 4 yo in the next room. Am really dreading it. 😭😭😭😭😭

sjess Wed 24-May-17 04:08:03

And thanks also for moral support!

titsbumfannythelot Wed 24-May-17 06:16:59

You have my sympathies, it's awful. My LO has been textbook when it comes to sleep regression.

But I think that under six months is too young to let a baby cry it out.

It will get better in time. I haven't rtft but have you tried a blackout blind? My LO is getting up earlier at the moment because of the time of year.

flowers

Redken24 Wed 24-May-17 06:36:04

Blackout blind - different dummy - blankets/grobag - room temp ?
Does she sleep better next to you? Do you go to bed early? Sorry just thinking of things I have tried.

Rubyslippers7780 Wed 24-May-17 06:40:39

Have been up since 4 am with 22 month old. Teething, cold, sleep regression..whatever. feel your pain and just letting you know there are many people suffering with you. It does pass. It will get better. One day this will be a blurry memory.

ChristmasAccountant Wed 24-May-17 06:46:33

Just feeling your pain and offering my sympathy. My previously fantastic at sleeping 6 month old has turned into a freaking nightmare the last week with a teething/cold combo. Been up since 4.22 after 5 wake ups. Am a zombie.
"This too shall pass" on repeat.

sjess Wed 24-May-17 07:34:43

Thanks all. I've tried everything: blackout blind, merino wool sleeping bag, room temp is fine. We moved her into her own room at around 8 weeks, but she seems to be a light sleeper and slept better in her own room (briefly). Like you say I'll probably just have to ride this out, for however long it lasts. 😩 What would have been useful is a no fall out dummy, can someone please invent one!? Agree that she's probably too young for crying it out, so will wait and see if it improves for a while. Why oh why don't they just sleep, massive design flaw. It's only 7.30 and I'm already spent💤

sjess Wed 24-May-17 07:38:36

I feel your pain too. With DS I remember him waking up every single night standing up, shouting and laughing for hours, having a blast. Spent many hours on the floor outside his room as there was zero patient going upstairs to bed. It's exhausting, to say the least... they better turn out nice and be worth all this hassle!

sjess Wed 24-May-17 07:41:19

Christmas accountant - Sorry, this one was for you.

Redken24 Wed 24-May-17 08:54:55

Are you having to go into another room to settle? Maybe being closer would be less hassle? Anyways todo that?

FATEdestiny Wed 24-May-17 10:36:40

sjess

Why are you making life hard for yourself?

If you put the following in place:

- full sized cot next to your bed
- ribbon sewed into the chest of your sleeping bag with a press stud at the end
- dummy attached to this ribbon
- eye mask (those you use on airplanes) so even if you open your eyes, you don't see anything.
- ear plugs will drown out background noise, but still allow you to hear baby crying next to you.

Then you should be able to resettle by reinserting dummy
- without moving from under your duvet
- *without opening your eyes or leaving the blackout of your eye mask at all
- without properly waking up yourself

Stop fighting this and making life difficult for both you and baby.

Timetogrowup2016 Wed 24-May-17 11:11:59

Yes I agree with fate above .
Baby will need you to put dummy in until I think 8 ish months ?
My dd started putting it back in at 8 months.

The dummy won't be the issue .

Try lots of day time sleep
Lots of milk feeds in the day

sjess Wed 24-May-17 13:45:56

Fate destiny - Excuse me? How am I making my baby's life difficult?! I am doing my best. What you're describing would not work for me. She has a dummy. It falls out. Having string tied to baby equipment in the cot is a potential strangling/tangle hazard. She turns over on her tummy and cries because she can't roll back, so ear plugs are not an option. The cot doesn't fit next to my bed and I wouldn't want to/couldn't sleep next to her anyway.

i guess in your eyes this means I have only myself to blame. I'm sorry if I come across as a tad defensive, I find your response very judgmental and I have barely slept in four months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now