Talk

Advanced search

Ds wakes up from afternoon nap too early

(11 Posts)
fruityb Wed 26-Apr-17 15:41:27

Ds has finally got into a good nap routine - he has an hour about two hours after waking and then three hours after that he's having another hour. Trouble is he's waking up too early and could probably do with at least 90 minutes as he's a grumpy little sod when he wakes up. He won't settle again in his cot and is screaming the house down so I end up getting him up. He's happy for about twenty minutes and then the whining starts. He then has an utter paddy before having another nap on me. It's either that or a power nap at teatime - this didn't used to be a problem only then he would not go to sleep last night until nine. I'm trying to pull his bed time back for when I go back to work so obviously him refusing to go to sleep didn't help matters there!

I'm putting him to bed at half seven tonight (that's the plan) as he was up at eight. How do I keep him asleep a little longer in afternoons?? Do I put him down a little bit later for it? He absolutely won't go back to sleep when he's awake in there - dummy, shushes, white noise, comforter won't work. He just comes downstairs in a complete arse and then gets beside himself when I pick him up to help him snooze. He flails his arms around and has knocked my glasses off and punched me in the eye. I realise this isn't on purpose but this bloody meltdown because he's woken up too soon is horrible.

He is bloody horrible when he's knackered and screams, there's tears everywhere, snot, and punching at my face. He's no fun whatsoever and will not cheer up!

Twinkie1 Wed 26-Apr-17 15:43:55

How old is he?

fruityb Wed 26-Apr-17 15:46:11

8 months so when he clonks me it actually hurts now!

EphraimWaite Wed 26-Apr-17 15:59:54

Earlier second nap so you can squeeze in a third one earlier then still get him to bed at desired time? DD is approaching 8 months and still on 3 naps a day. I'm hoping to shift to 2 but she still tends to wake after 40 minutes. She'll often do an hour, but until she can do a bit longer and do it more consistently I'm sticking with more frequent.

fruityb Wed 26-Apr-17 16:15:18

That will probably happen soon as he'll need to be up earlier when I'm back at work. We're working on that one soon! He'll be up an hour earlier when I'm at work so the earlier afternoon nap will likely happen.

EphraimWaite Wed 26-Apr-17 16:21:40

As I typed that she just woke up from nap 3 after 25 sodding minutes. Oh these babies!

fruityb Wed 26-Apr-17 16:31:24

He had an hour which is quite a good length really but then I realised it was half three! Reckon he's got half an hour till a power nap though as I've said all this he's happily playing with measuring cups on the floor and crawling around. Kids!

fruityb Wed 26-Apr-17 17:12:47

Just over the inevitable tantrum due to waking too soon... he just screamed his guts out and grabbed a handful of my neck and twisted it... we then go down to a moan and then he falls asleep with some music on. I need that nap to be longer as he is bloody awful at this time!!

FATEdestiny Wed 26-Apr-17 22:06:02

I would reduce the awake time between the first and second nap and be flexible about a third nap.

So nap 9.30-10.30am (and wake him at 10.30am, in order to routine afternoon nap time). Then 1pm for as long as possible. If he wakes before 2.30pm, add in a 4.30pm power nap. That gives you consistant 2h awake times.

fruityb Thu 27-Apr-17 08:39:50

Thank you - as it is he was up at just before 8 today so reckon he'll want a nap about ten so I'll try that but pushed back a smidge. He was nigh on asleep at just before 8 last night and then my other half came in and obviously wanted a cuddle. Trouble was his hands were absolutely freezing and he also didn't really contain his excitement at seeing Ds and Ds was the same! However he can go to bed at night awake and go off so I don't worry too much.

When OH came in the other night Ds crawled towards the door faster than I've ever seen - so containing that level of happy isn't easy nor do I want to lol

fruityb Thu 27-Apr-17 10:45:38

Ha put him down for his nap this morning and he screamed the house down. Trying again shortly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now