Talk

Advanced search

Crap naps at nursery

(10 Posts)
DappledThings Wed 26-Apr-17 08:00:26

DS is 14 months and generally a good sleeper. On days at home (Thursday-Sunday) he will:
Wake around 6.45
Sleep 9-10
Sleep 1-3
Go down between 6.45 and 7 and either sleep through or maybe have one little wake up in middle of the night but it's a 30 second dummy replace and he's out again.

But nursery days are going to pot. They struggle to get him to sleep there. A good day would be half an hour in the morning and 45 minutes in the afternoon. So he then conks out in car home (about 4.50-5.15) and then struggles at night.

Last night he wouldn't sleep till 7.45 and then was awake 9-10.30 and 1.45-2.45. All times he was quite distressed but just couldn't drop off. Eventually did all three times with my hand on his back for ages which I've never had to do.

Is there anything I can do? Nursery staff are good and I know they try their best but he knows there's exciting stuff going on and they won't let him use a sleeping bag, only a blanket. Do I just have to suck up some bad nights a couple of days a week and hope he can continue to catch up on the other days?

Me624 Wed 26-Apr-17 09:19:26

How long has he been at nursery for? My DS is also nearly 14 months and his naps were similarly crap when he first started and for a good few months but he's been there nearly four months now and settled into a good routine. You're probably not far off the point now where he'll go down to one nap? DS only has one on nursery days now and two on days at home. He copes fine on that as long as it's a decent length.

MrsPringles Wed 26-Apr-17 09:30:51

DS will absolutely not nap at nursery. He's been going since he was 9 months and it's an ongoing battle (he's 3 in August)

Now he can talk, he tells me it's because he's too busy playing. The staff put him in the little bed and he just lays there and pretends to sleep but doesn't actually sleep. If he sees one of them coming, he does fake snoring grinconfused
He only goes 2 full days per week and has 3 hour naps on the days that he is at home to make up for it

DappledThings Wed 26-Apr-17 09:54:41

He's been there 3 months. Only 2 days a week at first then 3 after 6 weeks. He has had some good days and once did a good 90 minutes. He just hates missing out I think.

Love the fake snoring MrsPringles. Clever boy!

DappledThings Wed 26-Apr-17 09:55:48

Yesterday he managed 30 minutes in the whole day before he car home.

DappledThings Wed 26-Apr-17 11:47:58

Well after all that they called me at 10 to say he had a temperature and had to be picked up. He slept 9-10, was in a great mood when I picked him up at 10.45, fell asleep again in car about 11 and is still asleep now in car seat inside.

Nap schedule out the window today and just letting him have whatever he wants to catch up. Hope that's the right call!

chloechloe Wed 26-Apr-17 15:03:05

When my DD is ill I forget the nap schedule and let her sleep as and when needed!

What time do most of the other children nap at nursery? If it's a lunchtime nap for most, it may be worth seeing if he will sleep with the others then so he's not missing out. One decent nap may be better than two poor ones.

DD1 went to nursery at 12months and quickly fell into having one lunchtime nap at nursery but had two at home. The different routines didn't seem to cause any problems.

Out of interest why can't he have a sleeping bag at nursery!?!

DappledThings Wed 26-Apr-17 17:06:09

chloe Apparently it's a safety thing! I suppose they think there's a risk of slipping inside. Hmmm.

Most of them nap after lunch which is when they try for his second one but I think he's too excited just by the other babies in the cots next to him.

Still today he ended up sleeping about 11-12 and then 1.15-3.30 so has hopefully caught up for now

chloechloe Wed 26-Apr-17 18:03:40

That's ridiculous! A properly fitted sleeping bag is safer than a blanket and also recommended by the Lullaby Trust!

He's not been there that long, maybe he just needs a bit more time to get into the routine of sleeping with other kids around. Fingers crossed!

DappledThings Wed 26-Apr-17 18:26:26

I know, sleeping bags are great. They are my parents' favourite thing that they see now that wasn't around in my babyhood!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now