Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

14 week old starting to wake for feeds more frequently at night - are we doing something wrong?

(4 Posts)
mumofzach Tue 25-Apr-17 22:48:10

Help needed!

Our 14 week old baby has always been a rubbish napper but quite a good night sleeper since about 6 weeks.
He is formula fed and goes down at 7pm and previously woke once or twice at the most before getting up for the day around 6-7am.

In the last week he has been waking 3-4 times and nothing apart from a bottle will console him. I am just wondering if we have done something to cause this or whether it's normal at this age. I know babies go through a regression at 4 months.

We don't really have a routine in the daytime as I found I was getting very stressed out if I tried to impose one on him. He generally takes between 25-30 ounces but still seems hungry at night!

Can anyone advise?

RedBugMug Tue 25-Apr-17 22:51:46

sounds totally normal
3 months sleep regression... been there still have the dark eye circles to prove it...

it's a phase and will soon be replaced with something else equally exhausting grin like crawling and hiding things

FATEdestiny Tue 25-Apr-17 23:05:43

The was to encourage baby out of wanting night feeds is to calorie load during the day.

Formula fed babies will always have enough per feed to fill their tummy any way (assuming you always give bottles big enough to have some left over when finished) . So you don't get baby to have more calories by giving bigger feeds. Instead you make the feeds more frequent.

So if baby was having a feed approx every 3-3.5h, make feeds every 2.5-3h. Or every 2-2.5h. That means more bottles per day. More milk taken in the daytime means less needed at night.

At 14 weeks I was feeding about every 2 hours from 7am-7pm. Then I would feed when I went to bed (10pm ish) and I would expect 1 feed in the night. Usually 8 bottles per day.

Cavort Tue 25-Apr-17 23:24:12

Sounds normal. Newborn's sleep cycles change at around this age and it's often a bumpy ride. It will settle again eventually so just keep doing what you're doing and hold on tight wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now