Talk

Advanced search

How much is too much sleep?

(7 Posts)
hopeful31yrs Tue 25-Apr-17 14:56:41

Asking as he's starting Nursery in a months time and the lady who runs the nursery thought he had too much - whereas it feels as if it's too little!

6 month old (nearly - less than 2 weeks). Sleeps from 7pm to 6:30am (wakes when my 3 year old religiously gets up - would continue to sleep without this disturbance) but wakes briefly sometimes 45mins after falling asleep for the night, when transferred to our room at around 10pm at which point we offer a bottle to top him up for the night, then 2/3ish for a feed and then early morning 5:30/6 for another and back to sleep albeit briefly.

In the daytime will nap around 8-8:30am for half an hour then pretty much sleeps every 90-120 mins through the day for 30 mins each time. He won't go more than this unless we're out walking and then maybe I can push him over the hour but that's rare. Last sleep at 5pm before the night time routine.

Therefore he gets about 2.5 hrs a day in small naps and nearly 12 hrs at night. I thought this was a deficit for his age group. The nursery lady seemed shocked and commented "oh, he likes his sleep doesn't he?" Yes, it's a very frustrating pattern but it's predictable. I was hoping he would start to coalesce some of the naps into a bigger pm nap but he hasn't.

Timetogrowup2016 Tue 25-Apr-17 14:58:42

Sounds normal to me.
Dd is 14 months and still has naps 30 minutes or less

hopeful31yrs Tue 25-Apr-17 15:03:41

Thank you! Glad it's not just him.

mimiholls Tue 25-Apr-17 15:31:53

Not too much sleep. I think it's quite hard for them to have too much sleep at this age to be honest. You will probably find naps lengthen over the next few months which will make things easier.

hopeful31yrs Tue 25-Apr-17 15:38:26

Ha - well he's still asleep after 1hr having written that!!! Boys!!!

FATEdestiny Tue 25-Apr-17 15:58:11

Nursery are probably more used to children who have longer 3-nap, 2-nap days or just the lunch time nap. But short, frequent naps are normal too until baby is developmentally ready for longer naps.

That change is likely to come soon, so his routine may well significantly change in the coming months. Longer naps means longer awake time which means fewer naps per day.

But no, not too much sleep.

hopeful31yrs Tue 25-Apr-17 16:13:51

Thank you for the replies. It's just the utter shock on her face when I said it!

My little dude is still sleeping soundly after his banana porridge... maybe that's the key!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now