Talk

Advanced search

Baby always wakes up tired

(6 Posts)
user1491749851 Tue 25-Apr-17 06:52:11

My dd2 is 5 months always wakes up tired, yawning. She is BF and fights sleep. She still wakes every 2/3 hours during the night. I am so tired due back at work soon and just don't know how I am going to manage. I have PND and anxiety.

I would be grateful for any advice. I honestly can't see the light at the end of the tunnel 😭

pikapoo Tue 25-Apr-17 08:59:18

What times does she go to bed and what time does she wake up in the morning?
At 5 months my DS was massively fighting sleep, so I really feel for you flowers

Do you get any help at all with DD2 (e.g. a DP/DH)?

robyneHet Tue 25-Apr-17 09:22:52

Aww I can totally relate...it's horrible 😞 I was feeding 2hourly through the night up until about 2 weeks ago!
...sorry no miracle answer here as I'm still battling on myself with EBF DS2 who is nearly 6months. I feel I've made a bit of progress but it has involved some 'sleep training' and a bit of crying...but nothing horrendous.
Are you feeding to sleep? Nights have improved for me on the whole since I managed to stop this and now settle DS with dummy (far from perfect and still have 'dummy runs' 😕) but at least DH can help now. If u could manage for 3 nights to only feed at bed (?7pm) dream feed (?10pm) and once in the night (?2/3am) then they do adjust...it's just hard getting there not going to lie.
Last nights for example my DS went to bed at 6:30...woke at 8:30 (wanting boob and took nearly an hour of shushing/cuddling/dummy to Settle him- that's he hard part seeing it through 😣) Dream feed 10pm, he woke at 02:00, fed and then slept til 7am 🎉
I know that's far from perfect but it's progress from 2hourly feeding I'm sure you will agree?! Good luck x

FATEdestiny Tue 25-Apr-17 09:46:02

My dd2 is 5 months always wakes up tired, yawning. She is BF and fights sleep. She still wakes every 2/3 hours during the night. I am so tired due back at work soon and just don't know how I am going to manage. I have PND and anxiety

Given how desperate your post reads, I would suggest focusing on ways to maximise your own sleep. Don't needlessly stress about baby's sleep until you are in a calmer and more positive position.

Some things that may help you get more sleep
- have baby in your bedroom until sleeping through, no point moving her out when 6 months (or whatever) to be walkibg to and from anotger room all night.
- have a sidecar cot (ask if you don't know what these are) or cosleep safely so that you can do the settling while lying down
- remove or turn around your bedroom clock, pay no attention to the time during te night
- stop counting wake ups in the night
- try to get baby willing to take a dummy and a bottle.
- don't keep baby awake for lobg periods in the day. 1h awake, then back to sleep.
- try going to sleep together during the day, both cuddles on your bed or the floor
- rest as much as you can, even if you don't sleep.
- don't stress yourself needing to be busy doing stuff in the day. Doing nothing but watching tv and napping is fine in these early months.

user1491749851 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:30:19

Hello, she doesn't really have a bedtime. I go to bed with her at about 7 when my older DD1goes. Generally doesn't wake up for the day until half 6/7 which suits with DD1 being at school.

She currently sleeps in bed with me (dp in the spare room). She takes a dummy but will only going to sleep with it in the car or pram.

I am lying on the bed with her now, her eyes are red from being tired but she is talking, legs in the air and spitting dummy out 😩

pikapoo Tue 25-Apr-17 13:51:41

Any luck with white noise and baby wearing? We found that both helped DS to nap in the early months.

7-6/7 seems a decent night-time stretch, though as you say the frequent wakings might be causing her to wake up tired. More importantly, waking up every 2 hours sounds really exhausting for you. Would you be willing to try a sidecar cot as FATEdestiny suggests? I wonder if she is waking up (and waking you up) frequently because of disturbance in between sleep cycles (e.g. my DH snores and we found this was waking DS up - though not saying that you snore!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now