Talk

Advanced search

Dropping naps make better wakeup time? Help please

(18 Posts)
SnowWhite26 Tue 25-Apr-17 06:09:50

I have an 18 month who went through months of early wakings. 5-5.30. She then randomly decided to wake up about 6.15-7 depending on her mood. That was fine. I could deal with hearing her chat after 6 and generally would go in at 7.Randomly the 5.15-5.30 wake ups are happening again. The problem is i will try ignoring till 7 but she is shouting before tgen but also i am knackered. I used to go to bed early and not do much in evening coz if I dont sleep and am tired I am horrible. But as she slept longer i started going to bed later and doing things. I dunno what to do.she does go ti bed at 630 but this is a struggle atm as she yells through bedtime routine till story as shes so over tired. She tends to have a nap in the morn that can be 2 hours but can also be an bour. She will then sleepin anoon cor a car journey if we are out. I wondered about dropping naps but we went out for the day last week and she hardly slept and this made for a 5 o clock waking. I went in this morn to say sleep time and shes laying down with dumny and comforter so shes still tired. I have tried later nap later bed. Why is she doing this again. Its a dark room. Any ideas? Xx

TheStoatIsStoatallyDifferent Tue 25-Apr-17 06:52:08

My 2 year old wakes up before 6 if he's gone to bed late and not had a nap. I know it seems daft at first but people do say that sleep breeds sleep. When he's had an hour or two nap and is asleep by 7/7:30 he sleeps till 6:30.
I make sure we go outside for a run/walk/bike ride if his nap ends anytime after 3.

Hope that makes sense!

NapQueen Tue 25-Apr-17 06:53:57

Can you swap the naps round so her morning one is a short car one and the afternoon one is a longer in the house nap?

SnowWhite26 Tue 25-Apr-17 06:56:42

Thanks for repliying. Generally lo nsps in morn for 2 hrs then if we are in car will nap in anoon. Shes always on the go bit is over tired by the end of the day as when getting ready for bed is crying. I dont no why it has suddenly gone so early again. I have always done sleep breeds sleep so have never had strict nap times but she takes herself for a nap in the morning if we are in lol.

StinkPickle Tue 25-Apr-17 06:58:24

Sleep breeds sleep.

This sounds like a textbook case of needing a bit more sleep in the daytime and then a later bedtime (7:30 if possible)

At this age they normally sleep 11 hours at night so if bedtime is 6:30pm wake up is 5:30am

DO NOT cut the nap. You'll have an overtired baby who will sleep worse.

SnowWhite26 Tue 25-Apr-17 06:59:00

Its difficult doing the anoon nap as she tends to just naturally be tired in morn and when i have done later nap later bed she wakes up earlier weirdly. X

StinkPickle Tue 25-Apr-17 06:59:18

Oh and swap the naps around. Wake her after an hour in the morning and then she will take the long nap in the afternoon which will see her through to a later bedtime.

SnowWhite26 Tue 25-Apr-17 07:00:24

Yeah i did figure she must be really over tired at bedtime. Is 2 naps still to much at this age? X

TheStoatIsStoatallyDifferent Tue 25-Apr-17 07:12:07

I don't think two naps is too many. If she's tired she needs to sleep. No harm trying it.

StinkPickle Tue 25-Apr-17 14:00:27

2 naps pretty standard for 18 months (well it was for my three children)

SnowWhite26 Tue 25-Apr-17 21:57:47

Thanks everyone for your advice. She had 1 2 and a bit hour nap and loads of running around and got her into bed at 7 so we shall see xx

StinkPickle Wed 26-Apr-17 13:48:09

How did it go?

SnowWhite26 Wed 26-Apr-17 15:42:29

Yeah not bad 6.10 but just let her chat until about 6.50 when she started getting annoyed lol. I dunno if it was fluke. She had a long nap till 12 today which was same as yesterday. Also i gave her tea later yesterday and turned heating on at 5 as its been cold. Thanks for asking smile

StinkPickle Wed 26-Apr-17 20:51:03

That's good! Sounds like getting her into bed later but still with a really good nap helped. I'll cross my fingers it continues.

If mine goes to bed at 6:30 he's up at 5:30am. Bed at 7:30pm means he's up at 6:30am (13 months) he seems to sleep 11 hours at night which google tells me is pretty normal for this age.

SnowWhite26 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:42:01

I couldnt get her to stay awake till 7.30 she is just so ready for bed hehe x

SnowWhite26 Fri 28-Apr-17 06:45:09

So she's l over the place with waking up lol. Wed she woke at 6.10 and we got up at 7 yesterday i heard her at 5.40 but she went bk to sleep till 6.45 and today i first heard her at 5.15! My oh just went in at 6.30.its crazy theres no chance of later naps when shes waking so early even if shez dozing grr x

pestov Fri 28-Apr-17 06:50:56

So switch up your routine to enable a later long daytime nap. Get out and do things in the morning, and over a week or so she will adapt. We napped 12-2 which works well and are usually at home for this

SnowWhite26 Fri 28-Apr-17 06:59:01

Shes going through a really mummy faze and getting really upset even if im out the room for a min which isn't like her so dunno if this part of it as well. Yeah well my oh and i are starting to to argue as he gets up with her every other day and all she wants is me. We try and do every other day get ups but sometimes shes in bed till we need to get up x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now