Talk

Advanced search

Sleep time troubles ... possible separation anxiety

(3 Posts)
Jordd91 Fri 21-Apr-17 09:49:27

My ds is 15 months old. He was a really good sleeper early on but after being ill he seemed to wake numerous times a night.
The only way to get him to sleep was to sleep next him. He then grabs my hand and if he loses it during the night will wake up himself and me to grab my hand again. Ive tried sleeping in the same room but he gets so worked up and doesn't then settle back to sleep. He cries until he is struggling to breathe and coughing. He is only content if I am right next to him. I would like any advice on what to do! I feel like this is never going to end and I'm always going to be sharing a bed! Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas!

FATEdestiny Fri 21-Apr-17 16:52:37

It's going to be challenging to move from bedshbed sharing to independant sleeping now he is older. The change is either going to take a very long time or involve a lot of crying.

If you are going the gentle route, a good start point will be to introduce a comforter toy for him to hold instead of your hand.

It won't be a straight swap initially. It will be you holding his hand with the comforter, then him holding the comforter and you holding him, until slowly and gradually he views the comfort in the teddy/blankie rather than your hand.

Jordd91 Fri 21-Apr-17 17:22:31

Thank you I will give that a try. I know it's going to be a long process now. Just hoping something will work eventually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now